6

Mikhail entered the silent home, with a shiver noting the chill. He was upset. Whenever Lev was upset the house got colder.

"What did I do?" Mikhail asked.

"I need to get something straight. I have been your husband for 20 years. Since we were children we have been together. You have known this woman for a month."

Mikhail sat on his lap, brushing his hand through his hair.

"Okay, Lev," Mikhail whispered in his ear. "I love you more. Since you need me to say it. I love you more than anyone."

Lev closed his eyes, his hand on the nape of Mikhail neck.

"What if that changes. What if I love her too? Will you be okay with that?"

Lev's eyes flicked down, his long lashes hiding the dismay in his eyes. Mikhail sighed, laying his head on Lev's shoulder.

"Everything went well at the docks. We made good money," Mikhail reached into his pockets. "We need to launder a good bit."

Lev sighed heavily rolling his eyes, reaching for the case of cigars. Mikhail lit it for him. "And why don't we just take the cash and fuck the laundering? Laundering means taxes."

Mikhail snorted. "That's how they got Capone. We must learn from mistakes, da? Like your Mama always used to say."

Lev sighed, looking away. "I barely remember Mama."

Mikhail glanced back. "Oh?"

Lev nodded. "I don't remember what she looks like."

Mikhail stood behind him, putting his hands over his eyes. "Close your eyes."

Lev obliged, blowing out a plume of smoke.

"She was a tall woman, thin as a rail. Her hair was like yours. Sunny blonde and she always had it pulled back in a ponytail with an emerald green tie. That meant she was working. She was always working."

Slowly, the fuzzy figure became clearer to Lev, as Mikhail described his dear mother who's face he had nearly forgotten.

"Her eyes were bright blue, like yours. You look just like her. She would call you solntse. Little sunshine."

Lev smiled feeling the warmth of his mothers gaze. "What would I do without you, Mikhail?"

He removed his hands, and suddenly, Mikhail came into view, his soft brown eyes smiling. "You would go on."

"No...I could not," Lev whispered. "Not without you."

Mikhail smiled softly, leaving the room. Lev's eyes followed him, his gaze softening at the sight of his back bathed in darkness as he unbuttoned his dress shirt revealing his strong back.

"You carry my heart. My deepest memories. The hopes I've long abandoned. I worry for the state of the world without you, lyubimaya."

"Is there a reason it would be without me?" Mikhail murmured.

"We do led a risky life," Lev shrugged.

"That's because no matter how much money we make you insist on stealing. From employees, from contractors, businessmen, gangsters, the government —"

"I only steal what I don't want to pay for," Lev clarified deliberately.

Mikhail peeked out from the hall with a disgruntled expression. "That's everything!"

Lev just shrugged. "I'm very interested in her. Xiomara. Have you..."

Mikhail heaved a sigh, running his hand through his hair, leaning against the hallway entrance, his sweatpants hanging low on his hips.

Lev smirked, taking in the view.

"Have we had sex? Of course you'd ask me that." Mikhail scoffed. "No. I wanted you to meet her first."

Lev looked away. "You've done all of this...and you haven't even fucked her?"

Mikhail winced. "God you're so crude, Lev."

Lev narrowed his eyes. "I...like her. But I love you, Mikhail. And I don't know I feel about the investment you have in her."

Mikhail closed his eyes.

"I have killed men for less," Lev murmured.

Mikhail scoffed. "Is that all you can do? Threaten me?"

Lev clenched his jaw. "When does this crush become a love? When does this threesome become just the two of you? What do you think that will make of me, Mikhail? Holder of my heart. Look in it and tell me. What will become of me if I lose you?"

Mikhail swallowed. "You will be losing me. You will be gaining her. If all goes well. Nothing is set in stone."

Lev swallowed. "What will become of me, Mikhail. If I lose you?"

Mikhail looked down. "What will become of you? A monster. You will be a monster."

He nodded. "By the time I realize—before anyone does it'll be too late. I am afraid of what I may become, Mikhail. I have endured so much, I stand, yet a man. What if..."

Mikhail crossed the room, taking his hand. "Hey. It's you and me. The Romanoffs. If it's too much—"

One thing was clear. Mikhail had sacrificed more than anything for him. He was everything. Lev smiled, cupping his cheek.

"It's okay. She's...she's a wonderful addition to us, Mikhail. I'm just...you know me." Lev whispered.

Mikhail leaned into his cheek. "Yes. I know you, Lev."