Skype Calls

When Dan heard the doorbell ring, laying on his bed with his laptop on his stomach, he sighed. Why did people always come to his house when he was the only one there? The doorbell rang again and Dan growled to himself. Jesus, these people were impatient. He quickly made his way down the flight of stairs to the front door and opened it.

"Package for Daniel Howell?"

Dan looked at the mailman in confusion. He hadn't ordered anything. In fact, he was on a strict no spending diet, in order to save up to go see Phil. Wait a minute...

Dan signed his name and eagerly took the package. After closing the door he ran back up the stairs and jumped into his bed, practically like a child. His mood a million times better he looked at the label and smiled. He had guessed right. From Phil.

As he went to rip it open though, he noticed an envelope on the side. It said, "read me!" Dan let out a little chuckle at the play on the Alice in Wonderland quote, the last movie they had watched together while skyping.

'hello dan,
now I know you're probably dying to open this package BUT YOU CAN'T. at least, not until you Skype me. :) I wanna see what you think, so ring baby ring'

Dan immediately set up his laptop, tweeting, "@AmazingPhil a mysterious package has arrived and we must speak SOS #ringme" Then he took a peek in the mirror to make sure he didn't look too hideous (just some stray curls, but he didn't have time for the straightener) and sat down on his bed, waiting for the call.

He picked up immediately, long past the days of worrying about seeming desperate. "Philip you bastard let me open my package."

Phil giggled, his tongue poking out (which did unspeakable things to Dan), but he shook his head. "You've got to wait a bit longer, Dan."

Dan heaved a dramatic sigh. "What's the point??" He whined.

Phil laughed some more. "Oh come off it, Dan, just wait, I want to tell you something first."

Dan resisted the urge to sigh again (if this was another "did you know this animal..."). "What is it, Lion?"

Phil smiled at the name and said, "You know how last time you were saying how you thought you might want to start doing YouTube videos?"

Dan nodded. "Yeah, but I also remember saying no one would watch them cuz I'm an awkward fuck."

"You are not, Daniel. Anyway. I've been thinking about it ever since then, and if you still want to, I think you should do it."

Dan studied Phil's pixelated Skype face. Was he being serious? If so, this was a very surreal moment, AmazingPhil telling him to start making YouTube videos... "Phil, thanks, but you know why I don't want to." He heard Phil sigh on the other end.

"I thought it might come to this. Open the package now."

Dan raised an eyebrow. What? He slowly picked up the box and started pulling off the tape. As he did, Phil talked.

"Dan, you are hilarious and super creative. The only thing holding you back is yourself. People would love you."

Dan finally got the box open, trying not to blush too much from what Phil was saying. But when he saw what was inside he turned beet red. "Phil!!"

"Bring it out and read what it says," Phil said, a very satisfied look on his face.

Dan pulled out the mysterious gift and felt tears prick in his eyes. It was a bear, a stuffed bear, but not only that, the bear was holding a sign that read, "You will always be good enough for me," in Phil's handwriting.

"First off, I know it's hard living far away. I wanted you to have a bear to cuddle when you're thinking of me," Phil explained. "But second, Dan, my bear, you don't have to worry about proving yourself to anyone. No matter what you do, no matter what happens, I will always love you, and at the end of the day we can make it through anything." He paused, trying to gauge Dan. "You alright?"

"Fuck, I want you here so bad right now," Dan said, and Phil let out a laugh.

"I know, same here. So Dan, will you promise me that you'll make a video if that's what you want to do, even if you're scared?"

Dan looked down at the bear in his arms and then back at Phil. How had all this happened? "God dammit, fine, Philip. As you wish."

Phil let out a cheer and Dan laughed at his ridiculous cuteness.