Prom

Dan brushed his fringe out of his eyes as he stared at himself in the men's bathroom. He didn't understand why prom was such a big deal. Why the fuck did he ever decide it was a good idea to come? It was pointless. All it was was a bunch of popular straight kids dancing to Top 40s (you would never hear anything like Muse here, JFC).

The door behind him swung open and Dan saw in the mirror the most popular jock in school walk in. He also happened to be the most homophobic jock in school. Great.

"Hey there Homo Howell!"

Dan tried to ignore him, turning to leave.

"Where you going? You don't have a date. There's no one here who wants to dance with you except my fist." The bigger boy laughed at what he thought was hilarious wordplay.

"Stop right there, Jason." A bathroom stall door had swung open all of the sudden and a tall boy with black fringe stepped out. "You obviously don't know what you're talking about. I'm his date dumbass."

Jason's eyes widened in shock and rage. The tall boy stepped forward and took Dan's hand, who felt tingles race up his arm. Jason turned red as he saw them touching, but the boys could see him coming to the realization that it was two on one now. "Have fun in hell, fags," he spit, and ran out of the restroom.

Dan tried to act calm, and not like a very hot upperclassmen had just saved him from an immanent beating. He went to let go of the boy's hand, but the other wouldn't let him.

"Come on date, I'm in the mood for a dance."

Dan could feel his face heating up, among other things, and just nodded, not trusting himself to speak. "I'm Da-"
the other cut him off. "Don't tell me your name. I will call you bear."

Dan raised an eyebrow as the black haired boy led him onto the dance floor. "Why bear? Are you saying I'm hairy?"

The other laughed, his tongue sticking out a bit. "No no. You seem pretty ferocious on the outside, but I can tell that on the inside you are soft, like a teddy bear." A slow Ed Sheeran song started and the boy said, "And I just want to hold you," and he pulled him in close.

As Thinking out Loud played over the room full of teenagers, Dan clutched this boy like nothing else. For some reason he felt like crying. No one had ever given him a nickname, let alone stood up for him. The two boys swayed, holding each other so tenderly, and then Dan felt lips moving down his neck. He gripped the other's shirt as he tried not to moan. He felt hot tears slip down his face and hit the boy's shoulder.

Immediately the boy looked up. "You alright bear?"

Dan laughed as his eyes continued to stream. "I've just never been rescued before by a lion."

His lion smiled, a little abashed, and pulled him close again. "Lion, yeah?"

Dan giggled. "Yes, you are my beautiful lion."

The song ended and neither said a word as they broke apart, though Dan kept their hands entwined. They walked out of the school together and Dan led the other to his car. And climbed on top of it. "The fireworks should be starting any minute. You wanna sit?"

His lion joined him. "I'm Phil by the way," he said and Dan continued to gaze at the sky.

"But I shall call you lion." He could feel Phil's eyes on him and he felt him squeeze his hand.

"And you are Dan, but I shall call you bear. Now may I kiss you?"

Dan looked at Phil quickly and found himself gazing into Phil's stunning blue eyes. He could hear the fireworks finally going off, but he didn't care. His heart racing, he leaned in closer. "Kiss me hard, lion."