Impact

hello children. please do not stone me to death. i have been trying to update for ages, but i couldn't find it in me, ive been so busy, and have had no inspiration, but my fic keeps getting bigger and it's almost at 150k views now and it just hit 5 thousand comments, and i got an email that said, it's been five months since you updated WTF, and i was like FUCK ME IM SORRY. so have this.

*

"Next please!"

A teenager came around the corner of the meet and greet screen and as Dan and Phil started to wave enthusiastically, they bolted into Dan's arms.

"Oh hi, hi, it's okay, hey shhh, you're alright..." The fan was shaking a lot and Dan held them tightly.

Phil, trying not to sound too worried said, "We're so glad to meet you! What's your name?"

There was no reply at first and Dan could tell they were trying really hard to breathe and not break down. He did not let go until the teenager did.

They had an uppercut like Troye Sivan and chipped fingernail polish. Though they had song lyrics tattooed on their arms and a couple of piercings on their face, Dan couldn't place this kid in a style or a genre. They didn't really fit.

"I'm so sorry," they said in a rushed tone. "I know I don't have a lot of time, but I have to tell you this, to thank you." They ran a hand through their curls and took a deep breath.

"Two years ago I tried to kill myself. I was at my lowest and everything was going wrong. I had no hope and I was cutting constantly. It was bad. But I stand here today, able to say, I made it. I'm starting college in the fall at my dream school, I'm 6 months clean, I found my soulmate, and I have hope. And I couldn't live with myself if I never got to tell you two how much you had to do with that and properly thank you. Because it's your videos that got me through the bad and worse. Your enthusiasm and positivity that made me believe there had to be something out there for me. Your acceptance that made me accept me. Something to look forward to when nothing else seemed good."

The security guard made eye contact with Dan, who gave the slightest shake of his head. This was important.
"I know I need to go, but I need you to know how fucking much you've meant to me and that you've done such good. So thank you," they finished and looked down at their wringing hands.

Phil glanced at Dan, who eyes were wet, and this time the latter nodded. They stepped forward with arms open wide. The teen gave a smile filled with emotion and moved into their hug.

"Hey," Dan started. "You've just said loads of lovely words to us, and we can't tell you how much they mean. They're litrally my main inspiration to keep making videos and being on YouTube. But I have to tell you how proud I am of you. Do you hear me? I'm fucking proud."

"I am too," Phil said. "We're so glad we could help and that our videos made you smile when you were sad, but you got through all that because you're stronger than most. You're a fighter and because of that, you are going to have a beautiful life. Especially with the kind soul that shines out of every part of you."

The fan moved back, hurriedly wiping tears from their face, and smiled. "You guys are amazing. Fucking hell. Thank you for everything. I love you, guys." They moved forward again and this time kissed Dan and Phil each lightly on the cheek and then walked off and didn't look back.

Dan held up a finger to the guard and turned to Phil. "You okay?"

Phil nodded slowly and then shook his head. "What did we do to deserve words like that? We just make silly videos."

Dan took his hand." Sometimes, that's what people need. And your positivity and my stupid humour. It's something to latch onto. But fucking hell, that's a reason to continue if I've ever seen one."

Phil laughed and squeezed Dan's hand. It was time to finish the meet and greet and go perform TATINOF and then he could think about all this emotion again. "That kid kept saying how we helped them and that we inspired them, but honestly, it's people with their stories that awe me and give me hope."

"I know what you mean, Phil. All these kids of ours, I wish I could tell every one of them how inspired and proud of them I am. I really wish that."

They locked eyes, savoring the sweet sweet moment and then Phil turned to the guard and nodded. This is what YouTube was about.

*

okay, i know that was kinda stupid and v short but i haven't ever gotten to tell d+p all that and i decided to channel it into a fic and honestly i think that's how d+p view their fans and they're so lovely and fuck me im emo. hope you all are well, let me know if you liked this. currently in Scotland staying a week with my best Internet friend who I met thru d+p and met irl two days ago. I start college in one month and who knows what'll happen after that, but thanks for your time, kids. good luck. xx