Phan Fight

When Phil got home early, from dinner with an old friend, he was not expecting to get upset. In fact, he was in quite a good mood. His friend had just landed a really exciting overseas journalist job, one that she had dreamed of for years, and he couldn't wait to tell Dan. It was quite dark as Phil walked up the steps to his flat. The nippy winter air chilled his cheeks and the stars were starting to twinkle overhead.

Phil was surprised to find the lights out when he opened the door. Had Dan gone to bed already? It was only 9 or so... Phil quietly shut and locked the door behind him, worried that Dan had gotten another one of his bad headaches. He'd been getting them often these days, and Phil was determined to make him go to the doctor's ASAP.

He made his way quietly to the kitchen, where he stowed his leftovers in the fridge. Then he climbed up the stairs, careful to skip the creaky step, and tiptoed to Dan's door. He loved seeing Dan sleep, especially since it was a rare occasion, as Phil always went to bed earlier then his lover. He lost the lines in face when he did so and became much more soft and almost angelic.

Phil slowly opened Dan's door, but to his surprise, the room was empty. Maybe he had decided to sleep in Phil's room? As he went to check he noticed the bathroom door shut and light spilling out from under it. Aha! 

"Hey Dan, I'm home early. Why are the lights turned off? You okay?"

He heard some quick shuffling from within and then Dan spoke. "Uh, I was just about to take a shower, Phil. I'll be out in a bit."

"Can I get a kiss first?" Phil smiled to himself glad that everything was alright.

"I haven't brushed my teeth, and I just ate, so you probably don't want to, but later, of course."

Phil frowned slightly. That was unusual. Dan never turned down a kiss, not even when he had morning breath. Phil turned to go, Dan obviously wanted space, but then he stopped. He inhaled carefully, and then his eyes widened. "Dan, open the door," he said, tone completely changed. If what he thought was true, Dan was in for it. "Daniel, I said open the door."

The door opened a crack. "I told you Phil, I'm going to shower and-"

Phil pushed the door open and quickly drew a breath. It was true.

"Phil! It was just this one time!! I swear!"

Phil did not listen, but instead went into his room, slamming his door behind him.

"Phil, don't be mad."

Phil was sitting on his bed, elbows on his knees, hands clasped in front of his face.

"Phil, I'm sorry. I just haven't had one in ages, and I was feeling so stressed and-"

"Fuck off, Dan, you promised me you had quit. You swore that you'd never smoke again."

Dan winced at the hurt tone in Phil's voice.

"Dan, you know how I feel about smoking. I hate it, and more than that you promised me!"

Dan hated himself as he saw the tears in Phil's eyes. He wanted to run to him, but he had a feeling Phil wouldn't accept his embrace. "Phil, what can I do?"

Phil looked at him, more upset than Dan had seen him in a while, and he shrugged. Then he laid down and rolled over.

"Phil-"

"Go away Dan. Go smoke your bloody cigarette, and leave me be, since you obviously care more about it than me."

Dan clenched his fists. That was a low blow. He strode over to the bed and climbed onto it. Phil pulled a pillow over his head but said nothing. "Phil, you know that's not true. I am sorry, but can't you see you're being a bit harsh? Yeah, smoking sucks, and I'm sorry I broke my promise. But, how long have I gone, for you, without a cigarette? Like hell I love it more than you! Like hell!" Then he pulled Phil into his lap, knocking the pillow aside, and started rocking him, ignoring Phil's protests. He started to sing a lullaby his mother had used to sing to him. At the end of each line he placed a kiss on Phil's body, and he continued to hold him, keeping him in his arms.

When he finished, Phil sat up. He turned to face Dan with a wary expression. "Dan, I love you more than anything, but you can't do that to me. Christ, I don't want to lose you to lung cancer too!"

Dan scooted closer to Phil, practically climbed in his lap, and hugged him.

"I'm so sorry, Phil. I swear to Dil if I'm craving a smoke I'll come to you next time. Kay?"

Phil sighed and then hugged Dan back.

"Can we cuddle some more bear?"