Under the Mistletoe

hello friend. <3 this is a lil treat for y'all cuz 1) i feel absolutely horrible that i haven't posted any new oneshots since halloween (i have been hella fuckin busy, but still), & 2) I HIT 20K VIEWS, 1K VOTES, AND 500 COMMENTS ON THIS. THAT IS BLOODY CRAZY. SO THIS IS A THANK YOU. also, I saw that this series is in the top 800 romances on wattpad. um, how?? ANYWAY, YOU AMAZING AND HERE, PLEASE ENJOY THIS BIT OF HOLIDAY CUTES.

*

Phil looks at his roommate and best friend, Dan Howell, the christmas tree lights reflecting in his brown eyes, and the former can't help but smile. They have been decorating all night, since they got back from christmas shopping. Phil feels guilty because they've procrastinated putting the tree up until TWO WEEKS BEFORE CHRISTMAS. TRAGEDY. But they've been busy, busier than ever before in his life. Not even finals week of university could compare to what the last year has been like. With so much in the works, they lost track of time completely.

So here they are. They bump elbows time after time as they hang baubles and popcorn strands and garlands. They share many a fond glance and Phil contemplates whether or not to break the peaceful quiet. Dan is, and has been, acting so much happier and Phil is remembering times when he barely smiled, his pixelated frown constant on distant skype sessions. Phil walks to the kitchen to fetch more popcorn and he is glad Dan is so much better now. Even as recently as 2012, when Dan hit another bad rut, it was ongoing trials. Phil purses his lips as the fights flash to the front of his mind and on his way back to the lounge he turns on some christmas music. 

Dan looks up when Phil returns and the latter winks. Dan chuckles and stands to take the bowl of popcorn Phil holds. He has a bit of green in one hand, probably another piece that's fallen off the tree. Next year, they're going to have to get a new one. 

"Oi!" Phil says as Dan eats a fistful of kernels. Dan wiggles his eyebrows, and then turns his back on the black fringed brit. 

"Phil, you like confetti right?"

Phil raises an eyebrow. "Of course. Why?" Pandora goes silent as it finishes a song and buffers to continue onto the next.

"I have a sudden urge..." Dan's eyes light up and suddenly he tosses the popcorn bowl's contents above them. Dan holds the piece of christmas tree above them and Phil realizes in an instant that it's not actually from the tree. Dan leans forwards, holding the mistletoe above them. He is so close to Phil's lips, but then he looks up. He sighs.

"I was hoping the raining popcorn effect would last longer than it did. The slow motion daydream in my head was a bit unrealistic, I suppose." 

Phil chuckles as he shakes his head. "Popcorn confetti, Dan?" 

"Pfft, I was trying to be spontaneous, jesus, Phil." Dan sighs. "This is going to be fun to cleanup. Look, it got in the tree!!"

"And other places." Phil brushes the top of Dan's head, sending kernels flying, and mussing Dan's perfectly straightened do. 

"Oi, Lester!" Dan shies away, fringe checks, and then comes back. "No touch the hair."

Phil rolls his eyes and grabs Dan's hand that holds the mistletoe. He throws it over his shoulder. As Dan opens his mouth to protest, Phil cuts him off. "That's for kids who are too shy to kiss the person they love on their own. While many a fault I have, that is not one of them. Come 'ere, bear."

Dan breaks into a toothy grin and says, "well, when you put it that way..." 

Phil puts his arms around Dan's waist and Dan links his around Phil's neck and they just look at each other for a few moments. 

"You really do have lovely eyes, Phil," Dan says and Phil boops his nose with his own, then leans his forehead on Dan's.

"Well, they probably got inspired by being in awe of yours for so long. You know, when you see a really muscular guy and you want to be as strong as him. That's my eyes, about your eyes, and, um... I'm not really sure where I was going with that, but, yeah..." 

Dan giggles and places a peck on Phil's lips. "Your eloquent way with words always amazes me, Philip."

"Shut it, bear," Phil says, blushing, but trying to look stern.

"Or what," Dan says impishly.

"Or... I'll kiss you like the time at the train station, that'll shut you up."

Dan says, " fuck, wouldn't want that to happen. But actually I do, so I'm not shutting up whoops, phil phil phil he's kind of a dork that i love and he makes an utter fool of himself but i love it cuz it's cute af and-"

Phil silences him, hands now on Dan's chin pulling his face towards his own. They kiss, but the word doesn't do the act justice. Phil crushes the mistletoe under his foot as he caresses his lover so passionately, 2009 phan would be proud. As Phil moves to push Dan against the wall he says, "You know I love you more than anything, Daniel James," and he kisses him again. 

"I know, lion, I know," Dan whispers as Phil starts to make a trail of love marks down his neck. "I know."

*

ahem. ^.^ so. you like? 

I have a surprise for y'all... I'M GOING TO POST A VERY SPECIAL CHRISTMAS ONESHOT ON THE CHRISTMAS DAY AS MY LIL GIFT FOR MY LOVELY SUPPORTERS. <3 GET ZAZZED! xx - charlie