Christmas Soulmates (Pastel!Dan/Punk!Phil)

happy holidays, ya lil shits. ^.^ i know you all were prolly expecting this earlier in the day but i got caught up with family and didn't want to post some stupid shit. i love all y'all to death, your comments and likes and views mean the world to me. i smile so much knowing that someone somewhere is getting joy over something i wrote. so here's the special fic i promised you. it's a punk!pastel (my most requested) and an AU where everyone is born with a unique birthmark... except for soulmates. ^.^ 

*

the pastel

Dan had always been skeptical of the term 'soulmates.' He heard often of them, in history class usually, or in stupid romance films, but Dan had never actually found proof that they existed. Obviously not for himself, he had barely even dated, but also just in general. He had searched and searched, but legend after legend fell through and Dan, in his pink jumper and daisy flowercrown, was beyond disappointed. 

Dan was an interesting boy. He wore pastel colors and flowers and lace, so people looked at him funny when he opened his mouth and legitimately smart things came out. He looked so gentle and sweet with his big brown eyes and curly chestnut hair, but Dan had regular existential crises. His long sleeve shirts hid old scars and his long lashes kept the tears at bay. Okay, that last line sounded a bit melodramatic. This wasn't like a stupid, unrealistic, romance about soulmates or anything jfc... Anyway, he'd dealt with shit, and he'd come out stronger, and yes, slightly more pessimistic about the world. He had latched onto this topic of fate recently after seeing a new film with another young, attractive, heterosexual couple who were soulmates and had lame lines. He threw up a little when he saw it. Disgusting. Though he was a romantic at heart and wished to god he could believe in that fantasy, HE JUST COULDN'T. LOGIC WAS TOO OVERPOWERING GOD DAMMIT. 

It wasn't like Dan didn't believe in love. He wasn't that cold. But soulmates?? His unique birthmark on someone else?? That shit just didn't happen IRL. That shit was stuff for the fairytales. And anyway, if it were to happen, it would NEVER happen to little old nothing, Dan Howell...

*

the punk

Phil had always had a soft spot for those stupid romance films about soulmates. He often snuck away from his tatted up friends to catch one on his way home from work. His boss, a hella cool chick named Janet, smiled knowingly as he made excuses to his coworker mates, saying he needed a part for his motorcycle or that he was running out of eyeliner. Phil knew that she knew and he was glad someone did. He didn't know why he hid it. He wasn't ashamed, but he felt that most of his friends just wouldn't understand. Society was doing better these days about stereotypes. He was able to buy makeup without a second glance and people complimented him on his black skinny jeans rather than calling him fag. But for some reason, people were still split on the whole soulmates thing. Even the folks who favored it usually didn't believe in it. 

But Phil did. 

With his arms covered in tattoos and piercings every which where, people jumped to the conclusion that Phil was a tough guy with no heart. But that wasn't true. Maybe no one had bothered to try and touch it yet.

*

the pastel

Dan's birthmark was on his left pinkie finger. People often mistook it for a ring, very delicate and slender. Dan had always liked it and felt it would be weird to see it on someone else. It was a part of him. 

*

the punk

Phil's birthmark was on his left ear and he started hiding it when he turned fourteen and got a piercing. People often mistook his earring for a gage, but it wasn't. He didn't want to destroy the birthmark, just cover it, until he felt the time was right.