Sonder [Wednesday x Male Reader]

Request by readbetweenthylines
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
"What's your biggest fear?" Wednesday asked. Both her and Y/N sat at the bank of the Nevermore lake. The sun was making a golden haze of the warm, summers sky. Y/N wished he could bottle it up like an elixir of life in a tiny glass vial.

"Why would I tell you?" He hummed back, raising a brow as he set his hands behind himself to prop up his abdomen. "Knowing you- you'd wake me up with my biggest fear and call it a joke."

Wednesday scoffed and brushed past his comment. She had her reasons for asking, primarily so she could protect him from what he feared- she had no idea why she felt it was her duty to do so. "What is it?" She pushed.

He puffed out his cheeks in a moment of thought. He wasn't sure what his biggest fear was. "I don't know..." He murmured.

She huffed. "Is there nothing that... keeps you up at night- makes the cold nights restless?" She continued to question. Her temper had been a little short that morning, Y/N recalled her saying something along the line of 'Enid broke the ink filter on my typewriter and hours of work got ruined'.

"Snakes are pretty scary." He finally answered- though he wasn't confident in his answer even if he was honest. He really didn't like snakes but he wasn't irrationally fearful of them.

"Really, Y/N" She snapped, obviously catching onto the fact he wasn't entirely sure on his answer, and the fact she found his answer almost insulting. She didn't believe him- plus, she didn't think snakes were scary at all.

"What? I've had nightmares about snakes before." He admitted, turning his head so he could look at her.

"God- you are just," She paused as if debating whether to finish her sentence. "Insufferable." She finished, almost through gritted teeth and a clenched jaw.

"I don't understand what your problem is- I told you something I'm scared of." He shot back, sitting forward as he brought his knees to the embrace of his arms.

"You're not taking me seriously- you never do." She hissed, her words stung him like a snake's bite laced with venom.

That wasn't true. His brows knitted together as his disposition grew offended and unsure. Wednesday was one of his only friends at Nevermore- like her, he was an outcast amongst the outcasts. A crow and raven, both abandoned by their flocks. A His throat grew tight. "What do you mean?" He asked as his voice became quiet. The morning sun shifted as it settled behind a dense patch of trees.

She failed to see how her words were biting at his feelings. She turned away from him. "You don't talk to me the same way you talk to everyone else- its like you see me as some little kid- And you get all giddy and happy whenever we pass one another in the corridor and you smile at me- and frankly, its getting on my nerves." She blurted out.

Y/N caught a rare signing of genuine annoyance on her pretty features. His jaw clenched as he got to his feet. "Alright." He said, before setting off- away from her and the lake, towards the Academy. He didn't bother looking back while Wednesday staired at the back of his frame until he couldn't see him anymore.

The pair didn't talk to one another for a while after. For three days, Y/N didn't show up to any classes. Maybe four, five days passed before they even saw one another again- passing one another in the corridor and while Wednesday made an attempt to acknowledge Y/N, he didn't even bother gazing down at her. It infuriated her- and yet she couldn't blame him. She knew his response to her words was reasonable. The guilt she felt was like a hive of maggots and a million worms had begun eating through her organs while the pressure of tears waging war behind her eyes felt like a fuzzy fungus was trying to push through. She felt awful. She hadn't meant to say those words to him- he just caught her in a down mood and she was malicious enough to take out her frustration on him. A moment of sonder swept her away. Of course, she knew that everyone around her were all living their own lives- but only through her immense guilt and worry did she truly realise that their emotions were just as real as her own. Living through feelings as complex as the ones she was experiencing- and that included Y/N.