Smoke and Camomile [Wednesday x Male Reader]

Insomnia was no joke- Wednesday knew all too well. Perhaps if she got more than a couple hours of sleep, she wouldn't have such harsh, dark bags under her eyes. Or maybe she wouldn't be so cranky- or so bitter and cold. But the fact was, she did suffer.

Throwing her bare feet out of the relative warmth of her blankets and covers, she touched down on the rough wooden ground with a shudder- the only sound that was audible was that of Enid's subtle pur-like snores- which must have been a side effect of being a werewolf.

With her hands gripping the edges of her bed, she took in the brisk, cool air which was now reaching her pale skin. As goosebumps began to plague her shoulders and neck, she pushed herself to her feet. She needed to take a walk.

Digging through the pile of fresh clothing on the chest at the end of her bed, she picked out a pair of black sweatpants and a dark grey sweater- both of which she changed into along with a pair of socks and a set of shoes.

Throughout her years of suffering from the inability to sleep, she found the best remedy was a walk. It didn't have to be a hike through the mountains- or a trek along a dam, the academy grounds worked just fine. It gave her the chance to really wind down- let her mind shut off and her legs wonder.

Making her way silently out of the door and down the winding series of stairs- she was met with the inevitable harsh midnight breezes. Without fail, it was enough to make her shudder and her hairs stand up. Despite always feeling as cold as the iceberg that sunk the Titanic, she despised the cold. She found it needlessly harsh. Still, her legs pushed on- ignoring her desire to return to the comfort of her bed.

Wondering along the cobbled paths on the academy grounds was undeniably relaxing- whispering trees, creaking branches and hooting night owls were just a number of alluring sounds that embraced her when sleep wouldn't. Moving along the uneven cobbles, Wednesday became lost in the sounds that amused her so much, completely unaware of the watching eyes before her.

"Its too late for a pretty girl like you to be out." A tired voice spoke out.

Stopping in her tracks, she watched as a grey mass of smoke billowed before her face. Coughing lightly and wafting her faint hands in front of her face, she cleared a way to spot who it was speaking out in the dead of night. Cocking her head, a slight smirk pulled at the creases of her lips.

"Its too late for an idiot like you to be left unsupervised." She retorted softly as she approached Y/N and the picnic table he was perched upon. "May I?" She asked. In response, Y/N nodded with a slight smile, gesturing with his left hand to the space beside him on the stained pine tabletop. "You still smoke, huh?" She observed judgingly as Y/N took another drag of the cigarette between his fingers before climbing up next to him. Her and Y/N had been close in their earlier years- coming up to her final year at Nevermore, she would guess that it had been nearly five years since the two met. In fact, she was fairly certain they were sat together again for the same reason.

"Still can't sleep?" Y/N shot back- matching her judging tone as he nudged his shoulder into hers.

Letting out a snort mixed with sarcasm and disbelief she nudged him back. "By the looks of things, neither can you." She fired.

He grimaced and nodded his head slowly. "You got that right." He answered before yet again bringing the cigarette to his lips, drawing the smoke into his lungs once more- Wednesday watched- it seemed like he sucked in forever- her own chest hurt watching him, holding her own breath until he released a billow of smoke from his lips again.

Spotting her gaze lingering on him, he offered the cigarette over to her. After a moment of hesitation, she shook her head. Shrugging his shoulders, he faced the black void in front of him again. The first time the two met was not to dissimilar to this very moment. When seeking a way to lure sleep in, she had snook out of her family home and went wondering through the long country roads that spanned miles like a spiders web. Somewhere along the way she stumbled across a number of small smoke clouds and a boy around her age sat on a tree stump. Y/N's parents were far from similar to Wednesday's- they didn't seem to care where Y/N was, what he was doing or who he was with- which inevitably resulted in him forming bad habits from a young age. She soon, however, discovered that they both suffered from insomnia's disease when she found him again on the same road the next night. Come rain or clear skies, it seemed that the two were drawn to one another.