Redamancy [Wednesday x Male Reader]

Love is something that is impossible to avoid- no matter how much you try, it is inevitable. Maybe you stumble into the love of your life in the most obscure of places- jumping from a plane, stranded on a desert- perhaps the murderer of your ex-husband is your soulmate. Love was telling her that the new knitted sweater she bought at the market looked good on her or that you find one of her mannerisms adorable.

Wednesday once believed she would love out her days alone- she believed she could get no better company than her own. She believed that no one would be able to put up with her eccentric hobbies or her morbid sense of life. She wholeheartedly believe that no one would ever call her beautiful or sweet- and she sure as hell was certain that no one would love her, let alone tolerate her.

Wednesday was wrong. She was in love and she loved being in love.

Y/N pulled up in the driveway, parking his old car and took the keys out of the ignition. He sat there for a moment or two- looking out at his home through the window. It was covered in snow- no, covered was an understatement. It was buried in snow. The blizzard from the nights before had finally settled but the cold winds were still prominent. At least a few evergreen trees and shrubs had kept their leafs and crisp colour.

With a deep breath and a long count up to three- Y/N finally built up the courage to face up the cold conditions beyond the comfort of the car. Grabbing the takeout back in the passenger seat, he threw the car door open and practically fell out of the car.

Feet slipping beneath him on the ice covered gravel, he regained his balance before shutting the car door and making his way to the front door.

Approaching the entrance he noticed how rotten the wooden panelling on the exterior had become- pieces had chipped off and the once white paint it was coated in was barely there. The house needed a lot of work- that much was clear.

Using his mouth and cold fingers fumbling with his keys, Y/N struggled to find the right key- of which there were many. One key for the garage, one for the shed- another for the back door and one for each of the rickety single glazed windows. Once finding the right one, she slid it into the lock, turning it to unlock the door. Gripping the door knob, her twisted it and pushed.

The door didn't budge. He let out an audible groan before pushing a little harder. Still nothing. His head fell back as he looked up into the sky before his head dropped forward to look at the floor. Puffing out his cheeks, he barged his shoulder into the wooden door. It swung open with a screech.

Sighing with relief, he stepped inside, taking the keys and closing the door behind himself. He wasn't sure if it was much much warmer in shelter of his own home than it was outside- with the only source of heat coming from the still hot Chinese food he left to pick up.

He dropped the keys into his back pocket as he kicked off the snow from his shoes. In another house he would take them off, but with the current climate, he thought best to keep them on.

It had only been a couple of days since he had moved in- and thanks to the snow storm, any furniture that should have already been in its cubby was no where to be found. The moving van was snowed in, as was the furniture.

The hallway looked cold. Barren. Empty. So did all of the other rooms. It perhaps didn't help that there was damp beneath the windows and the old floral wallpaper was peeling off the walls. It certainly wasn't a home.

Y/N walked down the winding hallway and took the second left.

There she was. Wednesday was sat hunched over in one of the only pieces of furniture they owned- a large leather armchair with her legs crossed tight. The headphones on her head made her look so small and the thick tartan blanket over her shoulders engulfed her much like the snow on the house.

It had been a busy few weeks for them- having recently finished their academic studies at Nevermore in the last six months, they knew they wanted to move in together. Y/N was thankful that both of their parents were willing to put money towards their first home.

Whilst it wasn't the prettiest building, it was a start and it was theirs. It was the place they could fix up together. The place where they could start a family if they wanted- buy a dog, host get togethers with their old peers.

As Y/N walked deeper into the living room, he caught a better view of his lover. His heart picked up in pace. She didn't see him.

Wednesday looked so calm and at peace- picturesquely candid as she sat so unaware, engrossed in her novel and the music playing to her ears. Her features were soft yet rife with concentration. Her nose slightly red from the cold. Her deep, dark brown eyes elegantly glided over the words on the yellowed pages.

She wore his green sweater. It was far too big for her- the ends covered her legs like a secondary blanket while the arms hung loose like wings. She looked beautiful. A smile was brought to his face.

Still approaching her, he finally stopped a few strides away and placed the bag of Chinese food on the floor when she finally noticed him.

Her smile lit up the room like a raging fire and warmth hit him like a landslide.

"You're back, mi amor." She murmured softly as she slid the headphones off her head and around her neck. She then placed a bookmark into her book and closed it, placing it beside her on the arm of the armchair.

He took her hands and pulled her off the chair, into a tight embrace. She giggled and shoved her head into the crook of his neck, the blanket still hanging off her shoulders. Her thin legs wrap tight around his waist before he spun her around a few times.

She lifted her head up again as he came to a stop.
Y/N looked into her eyes- darker than the deepest grave and he wanted to jump in head first.

"You stole my sweater." He spoke softly. A guilty-mischievous look grew on her face as she let the sleeves fall over her hands, snuggling deeper into the soft fabric that smelt so distinctly like him. "It suits you." He assured her as he kissed the crown of her head after setting her down on the floor.

Wednesday grabbed the sleeve of his hoodie before pushing him down into the armchair. "Will you read with me to the end of the chapter before we eat?" She asked as she grabbed it from where it lay.

He could see how passionate she felt about her book, it was clear she was enjoying it. Who was he to tell her no- no matter how hungry he was. "Of course, beautiful." He answered with a firm nod.

Her smile grew and she sat down in his lap with her back up against one arm of the chair while she slung her legs over the other arm. Settling her head down on his shoulder, he responded by wrapping his arms around her torso holding her close as she carried on reading.

He buried his nose into the nest of hair atop her head, taking in the scents of lavender and apple. Neither was sure how long it took her to read the rest of the chapter but the food was cold by the time she had finished.

For that moment, in the empty house with bare walls and cold atmosphere, they had never felt so much warmth and love.