Michaels Birthday

I stand at the door fixing Brian's collar. This is so nerve racking, Brian and Michael were about to meet for the first time. The nanny Grace answers the door. "Ms Pearson! Welcome. Come on in. I'll let Michael know you're here." She says with a great smile. I grab Brian's hand and walk inside. I see a few people I know and a few I don't. I scan the room and see her. Debbie sat there talking with friends and their new baby Paris sitting in her lap. My stomach twisted into knots at the sight of her. I squeezed Brian's hand tightly. Brian squeezed back twice as hard, only because Michael walked in to greet us. I giggle at how starstruck he was. He looked great, his black sweater with gold trimming lined his body beautifully. "Jayla!" He says in a friendly tone. I lean in to lightly kiss his cheek and hug him, my hand still in Brian's. "Hey Mike happy birthday." I smile. I peak over to see Debbie watching us. "This is my boyfriend, Brian. He's a big fan of yours Mike." I laugh as Brian releases my hand to shake Michael's "It's an honor to meet you Mr. Jackson. Happy Birthday!" Michael smiles politely. "Thank you Brian. I'm glad you could make it. It's great to finally meet you. I've heard great things about you" Michael leads us into the living room where everyone was seated and talking. I see Janet rush over to me and hug me tightly. She and I were very good friends, seeing as how I wrote a lot of songs for her. Michael and Debbie walked towards us as I introduced Brian to certain people. "Jay. This is my wife Debbie." He says hesitantly. I could tell he didn't want us to meet. "Hi, nice to finally meet you." I say sarcastically, shaking her hand. "Same here." she retorts in an equally sarcastic tone. "Who is this little beauty?" I ask diverting my anger and looking to Paris. Michael takes Paris out of Debbie's arms and hands her to me. "This is Paris, your goddaughter." He smiles nervously. "She's beautiful." I smile at her. Debbie, clearly not pleased with the situation asks for Paris back. "I'm going to lay her down for her nap." She says as she swiftly walks upstairs. I giggle as she walks away. "She was nice." I say to Michael. Michael rolls his eyes. "That's why we're getting a divorce." I shake my head. "You would think she'd be a little nicer to me, huh?" I laugh. I could have Michael back at any moment and she knew it. "You look nice." He nudges my arm smiling. I blush slightly. "Thank you. You do too." I say as I scan him. "You cut your hair." I notice, playing with one of his curly locks. He watches me as I stand fascinated with his hair and releases a slight chuckle. "What?" I smile. "We can't be friends to save our lives" he laughs again. I let out a small giggle and let go of his hair. "What do you mean? We are friends. We've always been friends" I say innocently. He shrugs. I feel two hands wrap around my waist, causing both Michael and I to jump as if we were both caught. "Why so jumpy babe?" Brian asks, a slight slur in his words. He must've had a drink or two. He kisses down my neck, making me feel awkward. "Brian, baby stop..." I say removing his arms from around my waist. "No love?" He whines. "Not right now" I laugh weakly. "I'll go back and sit down" he says simply. "ok." I giggled. "Sorry" I giggle at Michael. "It's fine..Did you wanna get a drink?" He asked smiling. "I'll get one if you do" I smile. "Deal." We walk in the kitchen and grab two red cups filling them with our spiked drinks.

Michael and I walked around outside of the house, leaving the guest and our significant others, holding our cups. "I'm glad you came. I really hoped you did" he says as we stand in front of the fountain. I look at my feet and smile. "Of course I would." I take a sip of my drink. "You seem so happy with Brian. You can tell he loves you." He sits on the side of the fountain pulling me downward with him. I watch him as he sticks a finger in the water and plays with ripples. He seems so distracted. "What's wrong?" I ask. "You already know what's wrong with me." He answers quietly. I put my hand on top of his and rest my head on his shoulder. "Michael..." I sigh deeply. My eyes shift around the grounds of Neverland as I reminisce silently of our times together I let out a small giggle. Michael turns his chin to my forehead "What's funny?" He asks. "Remember the time you showed me your giving tree and I was terrified to climb it. I nearly died." I giggle again. Michael chuckles softly. "Yeah, then you finally understood why I loved that tree so much. It's beautiful and I had a beautiful person in the tree that day." I roll my eyes and playfully. "You know you were a lot of the inspiration of the dangerous album.." Michael tells me. "Really?" I respond surprisingly. "Yeah. Every verse I ever wrote for any of those songs were written with a little of you in mind." He says lacing his fingers into mine. "I still have that tape of that song you wrote about me." I admit, revealing a small grin. "For All Time." He says. "I still feel that way about you. It's still strong." He squeezes my hand tighter, bringing his hip closer to mine. "I know." I say somberly. The truth was I still felt that way too but at this point it was too late for us to try to rekindle anything. "You have your kids, I have my boyfriend...we're both living our lives. We just have to love each other from a distance. As friends." I rest my chin on his shoulder facing his side. Michael turns his head to mine and places his forehead on mine closing his eyes. He then places a small kiss on my nose. "I guess so." He whispered. He takes a deep breath and changes the subject "I've got some good news" he says smiling. "I got this offer to do a show for a charity event at one venue for two nights. Now I know you said you think it's better if we don't work together anymore but I really think-" "you want me to perform with you?" I ask holding a smile. "Not with me, you'd have your own set. But this wouldn't be for my benefit...this time." He says slyly. I laugh. "Sure Mike, I'll do the charity event with you. I guess we can work together one more time." I wink. I shudder a little from the breeze and suggest we go back inside.

We walk back to Debbie at the door. "Michael, where'd you go? I missed you." She walks in between Michael and I, slightly pushing me, and kisses his cheek, pulling him towards the kitchen. "Geez" I mumble to myself. I scan the room for Brian. I see him talking to Janet "if it wasn't Jayla it would've been you. I'm just saying" he chuckles out. "Oh really?" I say smirking, walking towards him. "But it's you baby, and I'm glad" he says wrapping an arm around me, chuckling. "Uh huh." I chuckle back. We sit and chat with everyone until the evening came.

Brian shook Michael's hand again at the door "I enjoyed myself Michael. Thank you for a great time." "Thanks for coming Brian, take care of Jayla." He responds. "Most definitely, this is my baby. I love her." He says as he kisses my face. I give a light smile. "I'll meet you in the car Brian." I watch as Brian closes the car door and turn to Michael. "I'll see you later?" He says softly. "Of course." I smile reaching my arms around his neck for a hug. He pulls me closer to his chest running his fingers through my hair. "Tell Debbie I said bye" I tease. Michael giggles as he closes the door. I hop in the car with a big smile on my face and lay my head on Brian's shoulder.