World Music Awards

"Nikki... Uh, what are you- is Michael around?" I stammer. Nikki gives me a silly laugh and steps to the side to allow me in. "Of course he is Jayla! Come on in." I shift my eyes past her, walking inside. "I'll go get him for you." She smiles, scurrying towards the back. I stand in the middle of the foyer, my arms crossed, my mind still stuck on Nikki being here. Michael walks out. "Hey." His arms outstretched for a hug. I step back slightly, my arms still wrapped around myself. He gives me a puzzled look and sighs. "Nikki, can we have a minute alone please?" He says. "Sure." She squeaks as she walks to the back. Michael and I both watch her as she turns the corner. Michael turns back to me, "what's wrong with you?" He asks. "Why is she here?" I whisper. Michael sighs, running a hand through his hair. "She heard me talking to my assistant about needing another aid because I'm preparing for Thriller's 25th anniversary and she volunteered herself." He groans. "But I'm sure that you didn't come here to expose your jealousy. So what's up?" He says sarcastically. I roll my eyes, and breathe heavily. "I just came to say congrats..." Michael frowns in confusion. "For what?" "Oh, your aid didn't tell you?" I say sarcastically. "You and I are receiving awards from the World Music Awards..and you'll be getting the Diamond Award." Michael gives a broad smile. "That's amazing. What are you getting?" "International Pop Icon Award." I say shortly. Michael nods, his eyes shift around the room. "Did you want to come in? Maybe sit down?" I shake my head. "No thanks, you seem busy." I turn to walk outside as Michael follows me out. "What is up with you?!" He says angrily. I ignore him walking to the car. "Jayla!" He calls back. "Is this about Nikki?" He asks. "Yes!" I scream turning back to face him. "Yes! It is..why is she here?" "I just told you!" He yells back. "Michael that is bull and you know it." I say between clenched teeth. I'm fuming with anger as my heart starts to race. Michael looks at me, his eyes squinted with confusion. "Why do you care so much? We're not together, you're jealous. You made the wrong choice so now you have to deal with it. Don't get angry at me!" He yells. My eyes shift, "I-I could care less who you're with, but at least tell me... And why her?" I stutter. "Why her what? There is nothing going on between us. Why is that so hard to believe?" He softens. "I don't know... I guess I am a little jealous." I admit. "A little?" He asks. I try to hide back a smirk, but fail. Michael chuckles, "you sure you don't want to come in and sit for a while?" I agree, and begin walking back towards the door. All of a sudden, Nikki scurries outside. "Is everything alright? I heard screaming." Her presence angered me all over again. "Nope! I'm out!" I yell turning back to the car. "Jay!" Michael whines running back to the car to stop me. I open the door as he slams it back. "Jayla, are you serious right now?" My hand on the door handle pulls again. "Yes, I'm serious. I think it's great that you're moving on Michael, but not with my sister in law. That's so wrong... Move!" I yank again at the door handle, his hand resting on the door. "No. Not until we settle this. Look at me." He says grasping my chin to face him. "There is nothing going on between Nikki and I... Nothing. Ok?" He says softly, staring into my eyes. I finally snap out of my anger, taking in a deep breath. "Fine." I say removing Michael's hand from my face. "Ok." He assures me. He opens the car door and watches me get inside, closing it shut and waving it off. I felt so stupid getting angry at something I had no control over anymore.

I place my dress over head and watch as the dressed flowed down my body. Checking myself in the mirror, Brian clasps my hand in his with a smile. "Ready to go?" I nod and return his smile. I fix Angel's pig tail as we walk to the limo. In the back of my mind I wondered who is Michael's date for tonight? Or would he even go with someone? Even though Michael told me things weren't happening with him and Nikki, I just feel like she'd be there giggling in his ear. Security escort us to our seats as others file in behind us. "Hey!" I feel a tap on my shoulder. I turn to see Janet behind me, I honestly was surprised she wasn't getting this award. I give her a wide smile. "Is this your baby girl you've told me so much about?" She smiles. "Hi." Angel waves. "Brian, congrats on the wedding! I'm so sorry I couldn't make it you guys.." She taps Brian shoulder, he turns and gives her a smile as well. "It's not a problem, it was a lovely ceremony." "Hey Dunk!" I hear Michael's voice behind me. I was terrified to turn around and find Nikki standing there. I didn't hear her voice and Brian seemed calm. I feel the seat sink next to me as Michael's hand touched mine. "Jay." He says. I turn my head to Michael sitting with an almost Hispanic woman next to him. She looked mixed with black as well. My heart sunk. "Jayla, this is my friend Shana, Shana this is-" "oh my god, I know exactly who you are! Jayla Pearson! I'm a huge fan!" She enthuses. She reaches her hand out to me. "Thank you." I force a smile. She sits next to Michael with a huge grin on her face. "She's cute." I mutter to him. He exhales, shaking his head. "There's that jealousy. She's a friend." he whispers back. My leg starts to shake from the anger rising inside of me. Finally the show starts and it seems like the more Michael and I were around each other the more things we found annoying with each other. "Your leg is making my chair shake. Do you mind?" He whispers with a curled lip. I roll my eyes and stop shaking my leg.

Our names were called to enter the stage. Beyoncé would be presenting to Michael and then Michael to me. After receiving and accepting his award Michael takes to the microphone.

"The woman I'm presenting this award to is someone I consider my best friend. Her impact has set a high standard for up coming artist of all genres. She's remained a renowned world icon for years and she's only 34. I have never been more proud of her. Please help me give the International Pop Icon Award to Mrs. Jayla Pearson!"

I walk out onstage as Michael smiles, grabbing my hand to escort me. He knew I was still angry with him, and he was with me, but this was for the public. I give a light hug to Beyoncé who was still standing on stage and peck Michael's cheeks. I look out at the roaring crowd. It's amazing to watch celebrities turn into fans in the blink of an eye. It almost brought me to tears. I look down and see my daughter waving and clapping, causing an inwards sob. I wave back at her and blow Brian a kiss. I didn't think I would get emotional.
"Jeez..." I smile. I look at the award. "Um... I have a list of people to thank for this. I guess I'll start at the beginning. My mother Mary Hall. I wish she was here but she's back at home watching... Hi Mom!" I giggle. "My father, Sonny Pearson. God bless you Pop. To my big brother Keenan. I love you and as always this is dedicated to you. Without him I wouldn't have been introduced to the next person I'm about to thank." I look back at Michael and motion him to stand next to me. As always, the crowd loses it whenever he moves, seeing us together makes it worse. I laugh at him as he tried to shush the crowd. Michael places an arm around my shoulder. "I have to thank Michael for giving me the opportunity to even think of being in the music industry, and taking me under his wing... This man literally taught me everything I know about this business. Thank you Michael, so much... And congratulations." I smile. He nods and hugs me tightly. "To my husband and daughter, Brian and Angel...you two are the reason I breathe. I love you more than anything in this world." "I love you mommy!" I hear her scream out causing the entire audience to giggle. "I love you more baby.." I smile. "And of course my fans. None of this would be possible without you all, thank you so much. I love you all" I blow a final kiss and Michael and I walked offstage together.

Michael stops me as we're walking. "I hate being mad at you and I hate you being mad at me. What's wrong?" "We don't have time for this Michael..." I roll my eyes. "Yes we do. What's wrong?" He eggs on. I breathe deeply and attempt to walk off. He grabs my elbow, "are you gonna do this every time I bring a female around?" He asks. "Cause I know that's what this is about." I don't answer his question. "Look, you suggested we break up, you suggested we be friends, you decided to get married. I can't be friends with you like this Jay... " he says tossing his hands up. He was right. I had no right to be angry, I suggested he move on. I guess I didn't think he would. I sigh and pout. "You're right. I'm sorry. I promise I'll work on this... I just wasn't expecting you to move on so soon." He chuckles and shakes his head. "I can't belong to you forever... Let's get back to our seats.. Are we ok?" He smirks. I nod and walk back to my seat holding my new award.

Michael and I walk, hand in hand, onstage singing We Are The World to end the show. Children surrounding us, we walk around the stage greeting fans with smiles and kisses. Taking their gifts, we sing along with our choir. Michael and I stood there, watching everyone sing along with the music. I look at him and think to myself about I haven't been onstage with him in 5 years. It had finally dawned on me that he and I were legendary, and no matter what the media says, we were loved by millions. A small tear rolls down my cheek from my thoughts as Michael swipes it. He wraps his arm around my shoulder, pecking my temple.