Rehersals

Kenny and I sat at the table below the stage watching as Michael sang Human Nature. His voice still angelic as it's always been. He's been doing so much better since that last meeting at his house.

"If they say why, why... Tell them that it's human nature... Why, why. Does he do me that way."

He sings, I felt like I was 12 years old again listening to his old records with my mom. My brother clapping as he listened to me sing. My voice always made him smile. I just kept thinking of all the times I told my mom "I want to be just like Michael Jackson when I'm older" dancing around the house. Here I am now, who would've thought. We all clap as he ends the song. "God bless you" he smiles over the mic.

I walk toward him giving him a huge hug. "You never cease to amaze me Mike." I smile. "How are you feeling?" I ask. "I feel great Jay. I'm in it to win it." He says excitedly. I giggle as he wrapped his arm around my shoulder. "Are we ready for I Just Can't Stop Loving You?" Kenny says. I grab a microphone and run to my mark nodding my head. Michael adjusts his headset tapping his mic to check the volume. The music starts and Michael's mood changes instantly. He sauntered to his mark and began singing. As we sing he motions a finger to come closer to him. I giggle walking closer to him until I was in his arms. His hand runs up and down my spine and pulls me into his side by my waist. I lay my head on his chest as we rock back and forth before separating. I look out as the dancers stood and cheered for us. Michael and I walked around the stage looking at each other with big smiles on our faces. I think we were thinking the same things because we were so in sync with each other. We pull together for the final set of lyrics pressing our foreheads together. My eyelashes touching his sunglasses, I could feel his eyes staring back into mine. His hand running through my curls. I back up singing adlibs, and he watches me returning them stronger than mine. I chuckle and take it as a challenge, echoing his with a higher note. He bows slowly in front of me causing me to blush. He positions himself directly in front of me, his eyes staring down at me, with his hand on my cheek before turning to the audience and ending the song. "...you..." He sings softly. I was so lost in his presence he had to motion me to point outward with him. The song ends as the dancers clap and smile, giggling at Michael's reaction to my vocal challenge. "Jay, why'd you do that? I shouldn't be singing like that. I've gotta save my voice." He smiles. I shrug and laugh it off "sorry mike.." I giggle, as Kenny comes on stage. "Out of all the times I've watched you two do this song... This has to be the best." He says.

He and I prepare for another set, "They Don't Care About Us" we stand in front of the dancers in a military fashion. Both Michael and I were very excited for this set, we worked hard on the choreography and was ready to put it to use. We called it The Drill. We wanted everyone to be sharp and on point when it came to this. The song went into "They Don't Care About Us" where Michael and I split up on both sides of the stage. I was slightly out of my element seeing as how I had never performed this with him. We came together at the very end with a strong stance. "Hold for applause, Hold for applause. Slow umbrella fade out." Kenny says over the mic. I look at Michael and jump, clapping excitedly while grabbing his arm. He looks at me with a smile on his face. "We are gonna kill this!" I squeal. "You're back... King." I smirk at him. It was the end of a successful day.

Michael and I walk out of the stadium both expressing our excitement. "Only two weeks...you ready?" I smile nudging his arm. "Of course. I can't wait! Are you?" He smiles back. "Yes! I honestly can't wait. I really think we're gonna rock London." I say squeezing his hand. I watch him as his smile widens. "Thanks for believing in me Jayla. I don't know what I'd do without you all these years." He says sincerely. I lay my head on his arm. "Aww Mike..." I grin, blushing again. He gives me a hug and pecks my cheek as we separate to our cars. "Love you Jay.. See you tomorrow" he yells back. "Love you more Mike." I smile.

June 25 2009

I wake up to Angel pouring herself orange juice in the kitchen. "Good morning baby." I smile, kissing her forehead. "Good morning mommy." She smiles back offering me a glass of orange juice. I gladly take it, sitting at the counter, watching her. It's amazing how much she's grown. She's 8 years old and I'm so proud of how I've given her the life I didn't have. "Have you talked to your dad today?" I ask. She nods her head, "yes, and he told me to tell you keep your phone close because he's gonna call you." "Thanks for the message" I grin. Today was an exciting day for Michael and I. We were gonna rehearse the magic trick for Dirty Diana, I couldn't wait. Kenny said he'll have everything set up for us when we get there. "Mom, I don't wanna go to my tutor today, can I go watch you and uncle Mike practice? Please?" Angel whines. "No, no young lady. School is always first. Now go put on your clothes." She groans and pouts walking to get ready for school.

**

"Have you heard from Michael?" Kenny asks over the phone. "No not today. Why?" I respond. "I needed to ask him a couple questions about the magic trick. He's not answering... Oh well, I'll figure it out." Kenny responds. I hang up before receiving a text from Sasha.

"Is Michael ok?"

I frown, why is everyone asking about Michael?

"Uh... I guess. I haven't talked to him today yet. Why?"

I respond. I decide to give him a call myself. "Hi you've reached Michael Jackson. Sorry I'm-" I hang up, tossing the phone to the side and continued to get ready for rehearsals.

I jump out the shower answering my cell to Kenny again. "Yes?" I answered. "Michael is going to UCLA. Apparently something is wrong. I'll let you know what's going on." My eyes widen and my heartbeat speeds up. "Uh... Is he ok?" I ask. "I don't know Jayla. He's supposed to be seeing a doctor now." Kenny says. I could tell he was in a slight panic and was holding back information. I hang up sitting in my chair. "He'll be fine..." I tell myself, continuing to get dressed. I kept receiving call after call, text after text of my friends and family asking me was Michael ok. A whole two hours went by and I had no new information. My mind was in a slight panic. On my way to rehearsal I try and call Michael again...

"Hi, you've reached Michael Jackson. Sorry I'm-" I hang up again, this time a little more angrily. Kenny calls me back his voice cracking as he spoke. "Hello? Please tell me he's ok..." I answer frantically. I hear Kenny give a long sigh. "Kenny?" I whine. "He's gone..." He says shortly, sniffling on the phone. I frown, trying to process this information. "What do you mean he's gone?" Tears forming in my eyes. I try to swallow but my mouth went dry and my stomach was doing flips all over the place. "Kenny..." I call to him, a crack in my voice. "We lost him... Michael's gone." He sighs. I begin sobbing uncontrollably. "No way." I say, burying my face in the seats. I drop my phone to the floor as I curl into a ball on my seats, weeping. I can't believe what I just heard. My ex-husband, my heart, my best friend, the love of my life was gone...