30th Anniversary

"Michael, come on we've gotta go!" I hear Michael's assistant Frank Cascio yell through the door. "Mike." I shake him, standing beside the bed. "I don't want to go, my back hurts and I'm so tired Jay. Tell them to cancel it." He whines. I stand with my hands on my hips. "Mike you can't just cancel the night of the show. I'm sorry baby but you've gotta get up. We're already going to be late..." I explain. "Michael what's up? We've got to go!" Frank says bursting through the door. "Frank my back is killing me. I can't do it." Michael says, wincing as he sits upright. Frank grabs a pill and hands it to Michael. "Take a painkiller. We can't cancel." Knowing Michael's past with painkillers, I was extremely uncomfortable with the idea of him taking one. I give in to my own thoughts and swallow my disapproval. If he hurts that bad, one should help. Michael gets up and grabs his shoes slowly putting them on his feet.

We arrive at the red carpet about 20 minutes late, but the paparazzi waited for us because we were the main event. We stood on the carpet hand in hand, posing for photos and showing off our outfits before going inside. I constantly kept my eyes on Michael. He had seemed a little off, or maybe I was just paranoid. Michael, his mother Katherine, Macaulay Caulkin, Elizabeth Taylor, and myself file into our seats as the lights began to dim for the first act of Michael's 30th anniversary tribute show. It brought out an array of singers and performers paying homage to the "King of Pop.". One after the other, they came and performed his music. So many people were inspired by him, I thought it was beautiful and he loved it. He had started to think that people had forgotten about him, this was proof they still loved him.

Finally the big moment had arrived. Michael Jackson and the Jackson Brothers were to perform onstage again after 20 years, and I was to introduce them. I walk onstage to the microphone giving small waves and blowing kisses to the crowd. The excitement was extreme and even my adrenaline was pumped to see the Jacksons perform, even though I sat in on a couple rehearsals. "I'm here to introduce a man I love and admire dearly, he's changed the face and history of music." I said over the roaring crowd. "Him and his brothers are Rock and Roll Hall of fame inducted artist with over 30 years of success under their belts. They have set aspirations for many generations to come. Please help me welcome my second family, the Jacksons!" With that, the lights dimmed and a bright explosion relit the entire stadium of Madison Square Garden. The Jacksons came back to life, the audience loved them. I felt like that 7 year old I used to be, watching them on my television, wanting to be like them. "After all these years. They've still got it" I hear a stage hand say to himself. I go back stage to get prepared for my appearance, I was only supposed to be on for the last song, which was our single "You Rock My World".

"Michael called me and said 'Chris... I've seen your movie Rush Hour 2, and you're kicking with the wrong leg...stop making me look bad." Chris Tucker jokes. I giggle, remembering that night Michael and I watched Rush Hour 2 and almost died laughing at Chris' mistake. I remember Michael saying "I've gotta tell Chris that's not the right leg." I didn't know he actually did it. My excitement heightened when I heard Chris say Michael's name for his solo set.

After our performance ended, we went back to our hotel in New York City. Prince, Paris and my daughter Angel sat awaiting our arrival. Prince and Paris lay sleep on our bed and Angel in her crib. Michael was so exhausted once I got out of my shower I found him laying right next to his children sleeping peacefully. I couldn't disturb them. I pulled out the couch to be next to Angel, grabbed a blanket and simply slept there for the night.