Chapter 2

The following day, the Sully children were required to wake up with the sun to prepare for and begin their lessons. Lo'ak was surprisingly chirpy considering the hour, but Neteyam simply attributed this as excitement to see the daughter of the Olo'etkyan. After his exhibition of a wavery 'hey' yesterday, Neteyam was amused to think about how being taught by the girl might affect Lo'ak's learning ability. Not being able to remember the names of either the daughter or her brother that they were to learn from, Neteyam couldn't bring his own mood to match his brothers. Kiri and Tuk were sitting at the edge of their mats, playing some kind of game that involved flicking each others hands in turn, trying to anticipate the others movement. 

Leaving their marui, the four Sully kids trooped over to the beach, quiet words being exchanged between Kiri and Tuk accompanied with laughs and grunts from Lo'ak and Neteyam as they jokingly punched each other and attempted to dodge retaliation. Spotting three figures a short ways to the shore, recognizing two of them as the two children of the chief, and the other vaguely familiar as the sons companion, the one who attempted to grab Neteyams tail. Neteyam's face darkened at the thought of more teasing and judgement from the Metkayina boy. Arriving at the shore alongside the trio, the Sully kids stopped and waited to be addressed, trying to adhere to rules of respect they did not yet know. 

"Oh, you're up early, brilliant!" The girl Lo'ak had been so excited to see had noticed their arrival, seeming to be genuinely happy to see them "We can start right away!" She beamed at them, and then elbowed her brother less subtly than Neteyam guessed she meant to. "I'm sure you have been very overwhelmed and probably don't remember us, but this is Ao'nung," she motioned to her brother, still gingerly rubbing the spot that met his sisters elbow, "and Rotxo." she pointed to the other boy, who glanced at them with a blank look on his face, "and I am Tsireya, I'm sure you noticed our father and mother yesterday, when they asked us to teach you, please, follow us for a dive. We can show you the reef!" she finished excitedly, turning to walk over a flat bed of rocks. Moving after her, Neteyam grabbed Lo'ak after realising he hadn't moved, apparently enthralled in the back of Tsireya's head. 

Walking to the edge of the flat rocks, Tsireya and the two boys waited for the Sully's, instructing the four Omatikaya to get in, to help them get used to the water. Kiri led Tuk into the water and held her as they moved off the rock ledge into the more open reef. Neteyam grabbed Lo'ak by the arm and jumped in. When they came up for a breath, Neteyam noticed that the three Metkayina had apparently jumped in too, as they were nowhere to be seen, until a minute later when they came up as well. 

"Are you coming?" Ao'nung smirked at the two boys, as he dipped back down. Rotxo had begun swimming towards Kiri and Tuk, seemingly more interested in the two girls. Tsireya motioned as she too returned below the surface, causing Neteyam and Lo'ak to follow suit, the latter with much enthusiasm. Breathing deep, they began swimming down.

Neteyam almost lost all the air in his lungs as, after the bubbles cleared, he was able to take in the reef properly. The fish swimming about were of countless colours, some that he had never seen before. The rocks, coral, and plants, all positively glowed with the fast-approaching early-morning light. The sun danced with the movement of the water, reflecting off the glossy plants and the scales of the animals moving across the reef. Not realising how long he had been stopped staring, Neteyam felt a shove on his shoulder. Whipping around as fast as the water allowed, he saw Ao'nung motioning to follow, and then swimming away. As he moved to follow, Neteyam realised his lungs were burning from lack of air, and he swam back up. Lo'ak must have experienced a similar problem, as he left Tsireya among a bed of deep red coral in favour of new breath. Kirir and Tuk were already above the water, having moved back closer to the other four along with Rotxo. As Neteyam, Lo'ak, and their two sisters were gulping for fresh air, the three Metkayina surfaced soon after, seemingly not struggling with a lack of air, judging by the calm way they resurfaced, and the puzzled looks on their faces. Ao'nung had a slightly grumpy expression directed at Neteyam.