Chapter 25

(my timeline is all over the place but you're going to have to deal with it)

When both boys awoke the next morning, they found themselves smiling.

After the meeting the day before, Ao'nung and Neteyam had agreed they would broach the topic with their parents at lunch the next day, the two families deciding to have a celebratory meal of sorts. Upon returning to the marui, Neteyam had found himself swarmed by his family. Although he had been revived two days ago now, they didn't seem confident he would stay this way. Grateful for their thinking about him, Neteyam tolerated his mother holding him for an excessive amount of time, his father proceeding to do the same. Slightly more bearable was his little sister running at him and leaping at his chest, knocking him over with the sudden weight. She lay on his stomach, effectively trapping him there. Neteyam humoured her for few minutes, before he gently lifted her back up and set her on the ground.

Kiri and Lo'ak were slightly less emotional, but Neteyam still found himself locked in a hug with his two other siblings. After they pulled away, Neteyam found Kiri looking at him knowingly, a look he remembered seeing on Tsireya's face once when walking past her with Ao'nung. Neteyam felt himself blushing and turned to Lo'ak who thankfully remained perpetually ignorant. The light was now leaving the sky, casting long shadows through the marui as Neytiri asked Neteyam 

"What happened yesterday, with the chief's son?" Neteyam's mother never used Ao'nung nor Tsireya's names unless she was talking directly to them, which was rare. Neteyam had managed to return home after a long day of finding other things to do rather than return to his mauri, preferably something with a view of Ao'nung working to carry bundles of heavy nets. The innocent display of love and admiration set Tsireya and Kiri to talking again, happy and amused to see their brothers allow themselves these little moments. Neteyam was unaware, later, when Ao'nung was staring open-mouthed at his boyfriend riding his ilu through the reef, smiling at the sky warming his face and lighting up the water. Rotxo was very annoyed when he had to re-explain his story of Kiri laughing at his joke. Remembering his mother asked him a question, Neteyam said 

"We talked about, um, what we were feeling after, you know..." Neteyam trailed off, still unsure how his parents felt about the fact Neteyam was now bonded with the future Olo'eytkan. Technicalities of Neteyam's possible role as Tsahik in future aside, he didn't know how they felt about him having this choice made for him, and so young too. He assumed they okay-ed the decision, or Ao'nung wouldn't have had the opportunity. 

"And how are you feeling?" his father asked, almost in accusation. Neteyam straightened at his tone.

"Confident Ao'nung will prove himself to you, though he needs no improvement." Neteyam told him, not bothering to keep accusation from his own voice. His father blinked and looked slightly taken aback. 

"It was not a question of his worth, we just want to make sure you don't feel trapped or unhappy with the arrangement, so we can take steps to-" His father tried to amend his statement, but Neteyam cut him off.

"I am happy with Ao'nung." Neteyam noticed his parents slight recoil at the finality and permanence of the statement. 

"If anything changes-" His father began again, when Neytiri beat Neteyam to interjecting once more.

"He will handle it, and let us know if he wants our help." She gently laid her hand on her husbands arm. He seemed to restrain himself from saying anything else, though he still looked anxious. Neteyam knew his parents only wanted him to be happy, and not to feel trapped within his new relationship. It was hard to share their worries, though, when Neteyam was so happy with Ao'nung. He nodded at his father, agreeing with his mother, and followed Kiri and Lo'ak, who had left the marui with Tuk to give him some privacy. He appreciated, once more, their consideration. When he caught up with them, Kiri was smiling smugly.