Chapter 16

(BACK TO AO'NUNG AND NETEYAM)

The rest of Neteyam's day consisted of sitting in the family marui, absent mindedly stringing beads together over a weaved band, not really paying attention. Used to the craft now, Neteyam could put little focus on the movements and let his thoughts wander. Usually it didn't matter, and Neteyam couldn't remember what he was thinking about whenever he snapped back into reality. This time his mind was a less desirable place. He had spent at least two hours trying unsuccessfully to work through the emotions of that morning. Immediately after, all Neteyam could feel was sadness and heartbreak, which made no sense as Neteyam had initiated the breakup - if it could even be called that. But wasn't Ao'nung acting distant that morning? Hadn't Ao'nung been a bit of an asshole ignoring him, after everything they had talked about? Neteyam had been happy with Ao'nung, and despite what he had said, Neteyam knew Ao'nung had felt it too. Nothing about this place felt right, the sounds weren't familiar, the land was unrecognisable, and the animals were foreign. None of it was right, except Ao'nung. He was the only thing that made Neteyam feel like he belonged. 

Suddenly, a silhouette appeared on the floor in front of Neteyam, announcing the arrival or Lo'ak at the door. 

"Bro, come on, father wants us." Was the only the he said, before turning and running off. Unnerved by the slight desperate tone in his brother's voice, Neteyam jumped up and ran after him. He didn't know what to expect, but when he caught up to where Lo'ak had stopped, the scene did nothing to calm him. Smoke was rising in the distance, a small smudge on the horison. Tonowari, Ronal, Neytiri, and Jake were conversing in low tones, along with a group who could only be elite warriors listening intently. The chief's kids, Rotxo, Kiri, Tuk and Lo'ak were standing together looking concerned. Neteyam hurried over, joining the circle of heads leaning together. He wedged himself between Kiri and Tuk, the latter clinging to his arm. As he leaned in, he saw Ao'nung shuffling closer to close a gap in the circle Neteyam hadn't noticed. Was Ao'nung looking at him weird or was it his imagination? Surely he couldn't be upset Neteyam chose not to stand next to him. 

"What's happening?" Neteyam asked, lowering his voice to match the volume of the others. 

"The Sky People. They came." Lo'ak said, anger dripping from his words. Tsireya tightened the arm grasping Lo'ak's as he breathed heavily. Kiri was holding Rotxo's hand, though neither of them were blushing or smiling. Tuk pushed into Neteyam's side so he picked her up and held her against his waist. Resting his hand on the back of her head, he quietly shushed her worried breathing, taking deep breaths and indicating for her to do the same. 

"Remember what Tsireya taught you?" Neteyam said, now bringing his hand to lay above his sisters belly button. "Focus on your heart, slow it with your breathing." He held his hand there until he felt the rise and fall of her chest calm, and nodded encouragingly. He looked back at his brother. 

"Why not here? What's the smoke?" He had a guess, but hoped he was wrong.

"They don't know we're here, they just know we fled to the islands. They will find us soon." Lo'ak confirmed exactly what Neteyam was hoping against. He didn't miss the loathing behind the word fled

"They are burning another village." Kiri sounded empty, eyes unfocused. "Torturing..." she didn't finish her sentence. 

"Our parents?" Neteyam asked, nodding towards the now dispersing group of warriors and two couples now heading towards them. 

"Quaritch demands father to face him, and Toruk Makto won't back down." Lo'ak said, annoyance interrupting his urgency at the mention of their father's rank. Neteyam understood. Neither of them enjoyed living in the shadow of their father's legendary title, and with it the pride he constantly held.