New story!

First chapter of my new story 'Loving'. Same characters, same world, soon after the end of this one. Check it out on my profile!

Ao'nung POV

Slowly pulling himself along the underside of the coral bed, Ao'nung swiveled his head. He would need a breath in a moment; he had been searching for ten minutes already. He couldn't believe his quarry had evaded him for so long, young as they were.

Rising to the surface, Ao'nung saw a flicker of movement out of the corner of his eye: a tail flicking around edge of the coral bed he had just been searching. Breaking the surface and quickly filling his lungs with fresh air, he dove back down as quick as possible, working his flat tail and pulling his lean body through the cool water. Diving for the coral that, just seconds ago, caught his eyes with the flicker of movement. Pulling himself over it and down the other side, he saw something floating upwards from a hollow in the coral. As he reached for it, it disappeared, pulled down into the hollow. Leaning forward, he saw a mop of the braids on the head of a dark blue head, curled into the slim body of Tuktirey.

As he laughed, bubbles rose from Ao'nung's mouth to the surface. Hearing the disturbance, Tuk looked up, grinning. Bubbles left her mouth too, dancing towards the surface while catching light on the way. Jumping out of the hollow, Tuk darted away from Ao'nung before he could grab her. Pushing off the edge of the coral bed, Ao'nung began a pursuit. Tuk did not have his finned arms or his flat, powerful tail, but she was small and quick. She dove through seaweed and around rocks Ao'nung had to maneuver around more carefully. After several minutes, she began heading upwards. Sensing she was almost out of breath, Ao'nung jumped as far as he could off a rock below him and wrapped his arm under her shoulder, pulling himself and Tuk to the surface.

Breaking the surface, Tuk screamed in excitement and latched onto Ao'nung, whose legs and tail were now the only things able to keep them above the water as his arms were occupied keeping the excited Tuk from falling beneath the surface again. She giggled and looked at him as he tried to flick hair out of his face. She had pulled him out of his bed so early this morning that he hadn't even had his braids in yet; his tangled mass of black curls were tumbling over his shoulders. That was, until she had pushed him into the water off the rock flats jutting over the reef. Now his hair was wet and covering his face. Tuk parted it around his eyes and blew a raspberry at him. He squeezed just below her ribs and she started squirming and laughing and screaming.

"Ao'nung- Stop! I can't- Stop!" she giggled hysterically. He laughed with her, ceasing his jabs at her ribs, and began slowly moving to the shallows. When his feet could feel the ground again, he stood, holding Tuk to his chest still.

"Caught you," he grinned at her.

"Nuh uh! It's not fair! I have to breathe more than you! Next time-" her protests were cut off by a scream as Ao'nung threw her into the water again. She splashed to the surface laughing again, splashing water at him by kicking as hard as she could. Covering his eyes, Ao'nung jumped at her, holding her arms to her sides and carrying her out of the water.

"Come on Tuk, time to eat something. Besides, my parents might be upset if I'm not at breakfast soon, and I don't think your mother will be too happy if you aren't dry before you go back to your marui. Let's sit here for a bit to dry off, yeah?" Tuk pouted. "I'll do your hair," Ao'nung tempted in a sing-song voice. She jumped excitedly and ran to sit down on the dry sand. Following her quickly, Ao'nung found some shells and fallen flowers on the beach to add to her braids.

Several minutes later, Tuk had several spiral shells in the end of her braids; easy enough to take out if her parents wished, but also secure enough they wouldn't come out otherwise. The flowers were twisted in higher up, but just as easy to remove. Looking at her reflection in the still rock pools, Tuk clapped delightedly.