Chapter 15 (Lo'ak and Tsireya pt.2)

(LITERALLY KMS BC I HAD THIS WRITTEN AND IT WAS 1500 WORDS AND IT GOT LOST SO THIS IS LATE SORRY. ITS NOT AS GOOD AS IT WAS BECAUSE IT GOT DELETED AND I CANT REPLICATE IT EXACTLY IM SORRY)

Later that morning, Neteyam and Kiri joined Lo'ak to head towards the beach for their days training. On the way, Neteyam and Lo'ak argued over who was the better ilu rider. While the brothers argued the same points over and over, Kiri walked next to them. Her ears twitched constantly and her eyes were darting everywhere. She was constantly observing everything, listening to everything. She wasn't a bad rider herself, but seemed to just care less. Lo'ak didn't care much if Neteyam was actually better, but he couldn't actually let Neteyam hear that. As they approached the shoreline and bickered more, they heard a voice behind them.

"You're both wrong, as long as I'm included in the rankings." Ao'nung said, grinning at them. Neteyam punched the Metkayina boy softly in objection, laughing. Lo'ak noticed his brother's face darken in a blush. Next to Ao'nung, Rotxo feigned a scoff of indignation.

"You mean to say you think you're better than me?" he placed a hand on his chest in mock disbelief. This time it was Kiri's turn to blush, but she didn't laugh like Neteyam, but her teeth gleamed white as she cracked a smile.

"Yes yes, you're all very impressive and talented, perhaps you can fight over who is the better at drowning." Tsireya said, rolling her eyes. She stood with her arms crossed a smile on her face. The two Metkayina boys chuckled and stood next to her, Neteyam staying next to Lo'ak.

"Since Tuk isn't here today, I thought we should do individual work. You are all at different stages in different things, so it will be easier to make sure everyone is learning something." Tsireya explained. "Ao'nung will take Neteyam," the two boys stepped forward, meeting with arms circling the other's back. Lo'ak had to look away "Rotxo and Kiri will go together," Rotxo's eyes widened for a moment, and Kiri grinned at him as his face darkened "and I will go with Lo'ak." Tsireya finished, now looking at him. Lo'ak wondered if she was thinking of that morning, trying to read her gaze. Ao'nung began pulling Neteyam towards the Ilu pen, as Rotxo and Kiri walked in lockstep out into the reef, towards the rock flat jutting out into the water. Tsireya turned and walked along the shoreline. Lo'ak realised she expected him to follow and began walking behind her.

Tsireya kept walking, and Lo'ak became confused. Where were they going? She had passed the Ilu's, and they were passing the rock flat. Lo'ak veered to the right to walk onto it, but Tsireya just kept walking. Moving back to be behind her, Lo'ak continued tracing her steps. Not consciously, Lo'ak stepped into the indentations her feet left into the sand as she walked. Coming up to a rock face rising out of the sand a short way back from the sand, Tsireya stopped finally at the tree line, where the forest met the sloping rock rising from the ground. She stood with her back to him, facing into the trees. Approaching her and standing beside her, Lo'ak gazed at the greenery too. When she didn't offer any explanation, Lo'ak prompted

"Soo..." still Tsireya said nothing. "Why are we here, what are you doing?" Lo'ak asked, seeing Tsireya's eyes were closed.

"Listening." Her voice was quiet. Lo'ak instantly froze next to her. He knew what she was going to say, and he knew how he would react. He couldn't do this. Turning, Lo'ak began to walk... somewhere, away. He was hindered by a soft but firm grip on his wrist, surprised by the strength of the arm that held him back completely. Finally turning to look at him, Tsireya said "No, Lo'ak, stay. Please." Her voice didn't crack, but it was so full of emotion Lo'ak could feel it washing over him. He didn't try to pull away again. "You have been ripped from your home, and lost every rank you had. The work you put in growing up means nothing here. That hurts you, I know it does. Your father is a great warrior, his reputation precedes him," Lo'ak rolled his eyes, but she ignored it "but you are not him. You listen to the world around you, you don't try and change the environment to fit you, something your father struggles with." Her voice stayed quiet but firm. Lo'ak ignored her slight on his father, knowing she wasn't lying.