Chapter 31

(Im gonna accept this story is never ending)

Neteyam POV

The next hour was spent trying to concentrate on anything else than his plans for that night. As well was the constant pull and heat in his lower stomach, Neteyam found himself looking everywhere for Ao'nung, even when he knew he wouldn't see him. This resulted in very slow work. Something even more out of the ordinary however, was Lo'ak's reaction. Or perhaps, lack of such. He didn't seem to notice Neteyam until he apologised, every time. Confused, Neteyam caught his brother's attention again.

"Bro, you good?"

"What do you mean?" Lo'ak asked. He seemed confused, as if he wasn't staring into space a second ago.

"You've been out of it the past two hours," Neteyam pointed out. "Everything alright?"

Lo'ak opened his mouth, but apparently reconsidered what he was about to say, and let his breath out in a long sigh. Neteyam raised his eyebrows inquisitively.

"It's nothing-"

"Bullshit," Neteyam instantly cut him off. "Come on, you can talk to me, remember?" Neteyam thought of Lo'ak's last confession, of his admirer from the forest, and wondered if this was related.

"Fine." Lo'ak rolled his eyes, but sounded slightly glad Neteyam cared so much. "I.. Tsireya asked me," Lo'ak mumbled.

"Hey, what is it? You can say anything, I won't tell or judge I promise." Neteyam put a hand on Lo'ak's back. Lo'ak swallowed and nodded.

"It's not that, it's just... weird, to talk to you about it."

"About Tsireya? Did she do something?" Neteyam cautiously asked.

"Uh, kind of. She asked if," he swallowed again. "If I wanted to sleep with her..." He looked away.

Neteyam's eyes widened for a second, and then he asked

"Do you not want to?" An honest question. He was trying to understand the problem.

"No I do!" Lo'ak said quickly, and then shut his mouth quickly and looked at Neteyam, who grinned.

"Don't worry, I'm not telling anyone."

"Thanks."

"So, what's the problem?" Neteyam nudged him.

"I, I don't think I'm ready. But I don't want her to..." Lo'ak seemed helpless again.

"If you're not ready, there is no reason you have to bro." Neteyam assured him. "Please understand that, if you don't want something, especially this, you don't have to." Lo'ak nodded.

"But what if she expects it? I don't want to lose her." Lo'ak said, now looking right at Neteyam, eyes wide and worried.

"Do you honestly think Tsireya would break up with you because you weren't ready for this?" Neteyam tried to make it sounds obvious.

"I mean, I don't think so. But I also want to tell her about Li'riyat- Shit." Lo'ak stopped talking. Neteyam remembered Li'riyat, a strong warrior from the forest. The three of them had been good friends for a while, Lo'ak and Li'riyat making a game of trying to catch Neteyam as he ran, climbed, and flew around the trees. Then Neteyam remembered what Lo'ak had told him, the boy back home who was waiting for him. Who he didn't want to name.

"Was he the boy you told me about?" Neteyam asked gently. Lo'ak nodded, causing a tear to drop off his chin. "Why didn't you want to tell me his name?" Neteyam wasn't offended, but he wanted to make sure he didn't do anything to make his brother worried to share something with him.