Chapter 27

(Surely it's getting too long now)

"How did you manage to get seaweed in your braids?" Neteyam's mother asked him as she undid the many beaded braids he had done messily the morning before. When he was younger, Neteyam and his mother would sit for sometimes hours in the mornings or evenings while she did his hair. The lack of humidity in their new home was helpful for the volume, but his hair was still a long project everytime they did it. As it was wet most of the time, Neteyam rarely worried about it looking nice, but he had been invited by Ao'nung to visit his Tulkun brother. The Tulkun had returned yesterday, and Neteyam had insisted that Ao'nung go alone first, even though his boyfriend wanted to introduce him straight away. Today, Ao'nung had told Neteyam that he was going to visit his brother again after he finished his work around the island, shadowing his father. Immediately, Neteyam had found his mother and asked her to do his hair. The braids he always wore were practical and allowed him to incorporate the decorative beads he loves, but he wanted to do something special for Ao'nung.

Finally, what must have been an hour later, his braids were undone and his mother rested her hands on his shoulders, resting her fingers for a minute.

"What shall I do?" Neytiri asked. Neteyam realised he hadn't worn any other style for quite sometime, and was unsure what to say. He thought about how Ao'nung always favoured a bun, keeping his hair out of the way. Thinking more, he came up with something.

"Can you braid it down my head into a bun, but leave some out at the back, so half in a bun half down?" He asked, turning to look at his mother.

"I can certainly try." She shook her head, raising her hands once more. "Is this for Ao'nung?"

The question jolted Neteyam. Of course she would have known, what else did he want a special hair style for?

"Yeah, he, um, wanted to introduce me to his brother, Neykina." Neteyam told her, fidgeting in his lap. "I wanted to make a good impression?" He tried to come up with some justifiable reason he needed to impress Ao'nung.

"I see," Neytiri sounded knowing as she hummed absent minded, pulling his hair here and there. Neteyam thought he was in the clear when she spoke again "You love him, don't you." Neteyam knew she wasn't asking, more so confirming.

"Yes, I do." Neteyam didn't nod, as his mother still held his hair.

"Good." Neytiri concluded, seeming satisfied. After some more silence, Neteyam worked up some courage.

"Mother?"

"Yes, ma Neteyam?"

"How long did you and Father court each other, before you..." Neteyam's voice became small. Luckily Neytiri just laughed softly.

"Your Father and I did not have a traditional relationship either," Neteyam could hear the smile in her voice "He and I, we bonded and mated a few months after we met." Neteyam now winced slightly at the information, but looked past it. "Even though I was arranged to mate with a warrior from the forest, your father was too good to let go." She was speaking very fondly as she gathered his remaining hair at the back of his head. "Why do you ask?" Now she sounded suspicious, but caring too. Deciding she wouldn't let it go if he tried to change the subject, Neteyam told her.

"I'm anxious about where this relationship is going, or supposed to go." Neteyam said, holding his breath for his mother's reaction. She didn't change the pattern of how she was softly tugging his hair, and stayed quiet for a little.

Eventually, she asked "With Ao'nung? What do you mean ma Neteyam?"

"Yes, I'm worried about where it's supposed to go next."