Chapter 8

Neteyam did eventually get a few laps on the ilu without falling off, but not before he had spectacularly been flung into the air and into several coral beds. Ao'nung was finally allowing himself a smile. While his face was grinning every time Tyra threw him off, his heart was thundering at the sight of Neteyam's own expression, constantly determined and criminally charming. Even when his features were screwed up in effort to not allow his ilu to drag him through the water, Ao'nung couldn't help admiring some of the features that would be mundane on anyone else, yet on Neteyam they only enhanced each other. The way his hair was tucked behind his ears, the sharpness of his collarbone, the slight rise of his upper chest, the twitching of his nose when Tyra flicked him with water. As much as Ao'nung wanted to relax, to pull Neteyam onto his own ilu and show him his favourite underwater cave, to feel the warmth of his arms wrapped around Neteyam's own waist, he couldn't shake the imposter feeling, as if he wasn't the one Neteyam kissed the night before. 

When the heat of the day indicated it was nearing time for lunch, Neteyam and Ao'nung met back with Lo'ak and Tsireya, Kiri having already left with Tuk. Neteyam was talking with his brother as they walked back to the marui they would be eating in. This left Ao'nung at the mercy of his sister, who had not missed his and Neteyam's late night talk, but Ao'nung was unsure how much she knew. 

"So, you and Neteyam get along well then?" Tsireya asked, trying and failing to appear as if she was merely interested in her brother's friendship status. 

"Uh, yeah. You could say that." Ao'nung replied, trying not to give anything away. Even as he said it, he thought of the wrestling match they had on the ground, smiling slightly at the memory of Neteyam letting himself be overpowered, and then taking Ao'nung by surprise. This thought immediately morphed into the feel of Neteyam's lips pressed against his, how it felt for Neteyam's smile to be evident even in a kiss. Ao'nung schooled his features into what he hoped was a neutral, unbothered look, and kept walking. As Tsireya looked, at him, no longer able to contain her smile, Ao'nung felt his face burning from more than the midday heat. 

"Glad you made up then." Tsireya continued, not letting him get away so easily. Her eyes seemed to see more than the little Ao'nung hoped he was giving away. 

"Made up? Were we fighting?" Ao'nung feigned confusion. He did not want to reveal anything, unsure how much his sister had seen.

"When I saw the scuffle on the beach yesterday, I assumed some disagreement had arisen, but I guess that ended rather well in the end, didn't it." Tsireya was positively beaming at him by now, and before Ao'nung could protest, she skipped ahead to catch up with Kiri and Tuk, now returning from a group of smaller children dancing in between the walkways. Spluttering slightly, Ao'nung was now steaming in embarrassment, too shocked to muster any anger. As they arrived to the marui already hosting the four adults waiting for them, Neteyam slowed to fall into step with Ao'nung. 

"Save me a seat?" Neteyam winked at him, his teeth flashing white in wry smile.

"Uh yeah, where are you going?" Ao'nung asked, thinking of his earlier question, anxious to have time to discuss.

"Wouldn't you like to know? I won't be long, promise." Neteyam assured him, releasing a soft grip on Ao'nung's shoulder, who hadn't realised it was there. Staring and almost reaching after the boy who now had his back towards him, Ao'nung sighed and walked in. He sat just before the end of the low table, intending for Neteyam to fill the remaining space on the right. 

"Uh, kids, where's your brother?" Jake Sully asked, frowning at his kids. As the three remaining siblings stared at each other, and then down the table, they too seemed to notice his absence. As Lo'ak opened his mouth to answer, probably offering to go look, Ao'nung answered.