Chapter 9

NEW CHAPTER (plus some edits on Chapter 8, nothing big but if you care it's just before and in Neteyam's assurance speech, literally just a couple sentence additions and edits)

As they traipsed along the sand, Neteyam could not prevent himself from turning to look at Ao'nung. For a short time, Ao'nung didn't seem aware of the tentative eyes dancing over his skin, and this afforded Neteyam a window into a carefree Ao'nung. He was so different from the Ao'nung who had avoided Neteyam for days on end, stealing hidden glances are his back, accidentally finding himself staring disrespectfully at the strong stance in his hips, the soft rise of his lower back, the way Neteyam shivered when he stepped in the water. Now, Ao'nung looked truly happy. The sun turned his eyes into gems, glittering as they turned to see Neteyam looking back at him. 

"Neteyam?" He laughed softly, smile faltering slightly. 

"Hmm? Oh, sorry." Neteyam said sheepishly, arm raising to rub the back of his neck. "You're just, its-" he stumbled. Ao'nung waited patiently, eyes studying Neteyam's face. 

"You're really pretty..." the boy finished, sure the back of his neck must have been glowing with heat. Ao'nung's eyes immediately turned down, looking at his feet nervously. "Sorry, I didn't mean to-" Neteyam began, worried we had made Ao'nung uncomfortable again. 

"No, don't worry. I've just never... no one's ever called me pretty before." Ao'nung told him, remembering all the times he had been called handsome, strapping, or strong. "compliments always come from my parents or elders, and they are obligatory." Ao'nung told Neteyam. The shorter boy shook his head disbelievingly and rested his head on Ao'nung's shoulder. 

"Well, let me tell you again. You, Ao'nung, are so pretty. I could stare at your face eclipse after eclipse. If the ocean held one drop of the beauty in your eyes, I would swim forever. No matter how long I could last without breath underwater, you will always leave me gasping for air." Neteyam told him, compliments falling from his lips like water, so naturally. Ao'nung tripped as they continued walking, positively shaking from the praise his... what?

"What I was going to ask earlier." Ao'nung started, hand pulling slightly at the braids now falling along his shoulder. 

"Yes?" Neteyam encouraged quietly, willing to let Ao'nung finish this time. 

"Can I call you..." Ao'nung heaved a nervous breath. "...my boyfriend?" It was silent for a few moments after, in which Ao'nung tried to prevent himself from running away again. Neteyam chuckled endearingly.

"Now that is a reputation I would wear forever." Neteyam breathed the last word. Falling into silence again, Ao'nung had to prevent himself from breaking down and crying. As he was about to choke back a sob, Neteyam said something else. "I take great pride in knowing I made you that nervous though." 

"Careful or I might ask your brother for some other suggestions." Ao'nung said, taking pleasure in being the one to wink this time. Rolling his eyes, Neteyam released Ao'nung's hand. Before Ao'nung could protest or reach for his hand again, Neteyam had wrapped it firmly around his waist, pulling them closer together. 

"As long as it's coming from your mouth, you can call me anything you want." he responded, voice still quiet as a whisper, as if they shared a secret. Ao'nung could revel in this feeling forever.

(I'm sorry my POV switches are literally a mess)

The pair continued walking in silence, not realising how far they had gone until they were facing the ocean along another edge of the island. After another 20 minutes of walking back the way they came, the two boys decided to pretend as if they had been swimming at the edge of the reef, making their exit less suspicious. Tsireya, having forgotten about giving her brother privacy, had been looking for him, and Ao'nung didn't need her seeing him returning from a long walk by the beach with Neteyam. Cringing at the cliché, Ao'nung raised his eyes from the net he was untangling. When his mother had given him the chore, it made him remember the first time he laid eyes on Neteyam. He had heard the alert rising throughout the village (is it a village idk) as he had been doing the same thing. Deliberating over this memory made the task slightly less soul-destroying.