Chapter 29

(It is so cold in my room I can barely type)

Ao'nung POV

Until he stopped, Ao'nung didn't realise Neykina was moving. When he looked around, he saw the edge of the reef, and the clustered marui's on the sand and above the shallows. Blinking against the fast-leaving light along the horizon, Ao'nung found Neteyam well asleep, head still resting on Ao'nung's chest, left leg raised towards his chest and the other bent slightly at the knee. Resting his head again and resisting the urge to cry, Ao'nung closed his eyes and breathed in appreciatively, consciously noticing the aroma of the ocean and everything else around him. When Neykina made a low groaning sound, more a vibration than a sound, Ao'nung took that as his cue. He whistled for his ilu, hoping it wouldn't wake Neteyam. Luckily, it didn't, and he mounted and gently scooped Neteyam up, sitting him facing himself, head resting over his own shoulder. Wrapping an arm around Neteyam to hold him flush against his chest, Ao'nung clicked to his ilu and had them riding towards the shore. Upon arriving, Ao'nung took great care to gently lift Neteyam, keeping him dry and asleep. Despite the relatively early hour, Ao'nung decided to leave his boyfriend in his marui, hoping none of his siblings would be there to witness it. He laid Neteyam down on a mat on the floor, placing a blanket below his head; it was too warm still to lay under one but it made for a decent pillow. He quietly padded out of the marui, deciding to help his mother with dinner.

Neteyam POV

Had he been awake since Ao'nung also woke up? Maybe. Had he pretended to sleep so that Ao'nung would carry him? Maybe. He hadn't opened his eyes because he was so relaxed he couldn't tell if he was still dreaming or not. But once he had been laid in his marui, alone, he opened his eyes and smiled, despite his solidarity. Blinking the strong light down to a normal brightness, Neteyam noticed his brother walking towards the marui. Standing and walking to the entrance of the marui, Neteyam raised his eyebrows at Lo'ak.

"Dad says we're having dinner with the chief again, get ready and hurry up." Lo'ak smiled as he mentioned the chief, but Neteyam guessed he was more excited to see other members of the family. Confirming Neteyam's suspicion, Lo'ak blushed and said "I'm going to go help Tsireya prepare the table." He skipped away. Lo'ak skipping! That was something Neteyam wouldn't let him forget soon. Feeling his hair to make sure it was still done up nicely, Neteyam made his way to dinner. He had his waist band on again by instinct, comforted by its familiarity.

When he arrived at the open eating area, Lo'ak and Tsireya were holding a dish that definitely didn't require two sets of hands. Ao'nung was nowhere to be seen, yet, so Neteyam made himself useful; he sat down. He knew no one would tell him to get up, not after the past week. Maybe he was being a bit selfish, but he was going to ride it while it lasted. The others began arriving, Kiri and Tuk bouncing down the walkway, Neytiri and Jake following slowly behind. Ronal and Tonowari emerged from their marui nearby, Ao'nung behind them. Feeling his heart fluttering at the sight, Neteyam finally stood again, and walked over to Ao'nung, who's parents suddenly called out and walked over to Neteyam's own parents. Reaching his boyfriend, Neteyam stood on his toes slightly and kissed him (Idk their height difference, but it's for the relationship dynamic, get over it). This seemed to surprise Ao'nung, who had stopped walked and froze. Eventually, once Neteyam had moved next to him and nudged him in the back softly, they walked back to the table.

"Hey," Neteyam whispered, a little out of breath.

"Hi..." Ao'nung sounded slightly winded, and looked at Neteyam.

"Is that how we greet each other now?" Ao'nung asked.

Neteyam shrugged. "Why not? You're my boyfriend, right?" He asked with an elbow to Ao'nung's arm. "Why?"

"Nothing," Ao'nung said. "I like it."

They walked hand in hand and sat next to each other at the table. "Why did your parents walk away so quickly when I walked over? Did I do something?" Neteyam asked, slightly self conscious of his appearance now.

"No! They were just, um, talking... to me." Ao'nung told him. "You look... great." The compliment wasn't special, but the flustered expression and slightly glazed look in Ao'nung's eyes as he looked Neteyam up and down, from his hair to his waistband, delivered everything his words different. Burning slightly now from Ao'nung's gaze, Neteyam asked

"What were you talking about? You seemed a bit, embarrassed?" He hated that he could guess what may have been the topic of conversation.

"They wanted to ask how I plan on... continuing the," Ao'nung cleared his throat loudly "how I- um, they wanted to talk to me about, you know..." Ao'nung trailed off nervously, shyly blinking and smiling awkwardly at Neteyam; it was extremely cute. Neteyam had the generosity to save Ao'nung from the awkward explanation.

"I know. I'm sorry you had to have that conversation, but..." Neteyam coughed unnaturally. "What did you tell them?" His eyes were averted from Ao'nung now, and he was still blushing.

"You didn't have any plans did you?" Ao'nung sounded surprised, which was fair, given Neteyam's previous reaction.

"No, just wondering what you told your parents to make them look right past me so quickly." Neteyam laughed a little. Ao'nung shrugged.

"I told them that we are not planning anything, yet." Ao'nung winked jokingly as Neteyam raised an eyebrow at the insinuation. "But when, if, we are ready, we will become mates." His voice trailed off. Neteyam was warmed by the soft tone of Ao'nung's voice.

"Good... good answer." Neteyam choked up a little for some reason. Ao'nung shrugged again. "This is where you're supposed to hug me." Neteyam looked pointedly at his boyfriend, who rolled his eyes.

"Sorry princess," the sarcasm in Ao'nung's voice was palpable "my arms are a bit sore from carrying you, damsel in distress style, all the way from the water, forgive me." Ao'nung was kidding, but the name gave Neteyam a small shiver up his spine for some reason.

"Yet you didn't wake me up." Neteyam grinned at Ao'nung. "You liked playing the protector, didn't you." He laughed, and Ao'nung just rolled his eyes. Neteyam smile was unconscious, instinctual.

Dinner was normal. Something that Neteyam found he didn't hate anymore. He laughed with Kiri and Ao'nung while watching Lo'ak try and flirt with Tsireya, Tuk arguing with Neytiri over what parts of her meal she had to eat. Ao'nung and Neteyam's hands found each other just below the table, and constant side-glances had them both giggling, earning smirks from Kiri and wide smiles from Tsireya.

After dinner, the parents were talking loudly about something presumably boring. Lo'ak and Tsireya were sitting in the doorway of the chief's marui, beading something or other. Rather, Tsireya was being extremely patient with Lo'ak while he repeatedly messed it up. Tuk was curled up against Neytiri's stomach, Kiri having retired already. Ao'nung and Neteyam remained at the table together, now facing each other. Neteyam was absent-mindedly observing the others, while Ao'nung unabashedly stared at his eyes. Once Neteyam's gaze found its way back to Ao'nung's glittering blue eyes, he blushed, realising his boyfriend was looking so closely at him. Ao'nung's hands twitched in Neteyam's grip, where they were resting between them. Quickly recovering from his embarrassment, Neteyam leaned in and whispered.
"I like this too." He pressed the words into Ao'nung's cheek, as he rose and bid his parents goodnight. Before he turned away, Neteyam gave a tiny, adorable, wave to Ao'nung, and his tail was whipping around without shame.

(Ao'nung)

He wasn't sure if Neteyam meant to tease him with the kiss on the cheek, but Ao'nung felt a hot churning in his stomach. The heat became awkward and uncomfortable, so he excused himself and made sure he walked out of sight before diving into the ocean, the water doing little to cool him down.