Chapter 3

(I'm really trying to speed this up but it's not working)

All sitting around a low table laden with many foods the Sully kids had not seen before. Nervous to try the unknown dishes, Lo'ak and Tuk ate slowly, trying to find familiarity among the foreign food. Neteyam and Kiri were less daunted, the former not wanting to appear disrespectful, and the latter seemingly just as comfortable with the meal as any they had back home. The chief's children were sitting next to the Sully's, Tsireya between Tuk and Lo'ak, and Ao'nung on Neteyam's left, on the end of the line. Kiri was on his right, between him and Lo'ak. Ao'nung had been very quiet since the kids had entered the marui their parents were waiting in, his face returning to the unhappy look Neteyam had glimpsed several times that morning. The same look that he had worn when they began walking towards the marui, after their little race. His face had lost the budding humour and smug smile it usually held. After the breakfast, the older Sully siblings left Tuk with their mother, electing to try and find something of use to learn or do. Accompanied by the Chief's children, they headed in the direction of the water again. Lo'ak was once more paying intense attention to Tsireya, who was telling him more about breathing technique. Kiri was content wandering around, and said she would find something to do elsewhere. Ao'nung was next to Neteyam, and was carrying  a barrel of nets his mother had instructed him to deposit with the hunters, near the ilu pens. Unsure what an ilu was, he asked. 

"They're a kind of pet, they're more used for recreation or hunting. You ride them underwater and they make it easier to chase fast fish." Ao'nung explained "Not that you could ride one yet." he added quickly, after seeing the smile on Neteyams face. Neteyam was unsure where the last part fit, but decided to overlook it. Walking on in a newfound silence, Ao'nung was glaring straight ahead.  following wherever Tsireya and Lo'ak were walking. Reaching the beach, Tsireya turned and began talking to Ao'nung 

"I want to show Lo'ak the Mirror, are you two alright if we duck off for a bit?" Tsireya asked, motioning somewhere along the shoreline. 

"What's the Mirror?" Neteyam asked, before Ao'nung could say anything. 

"There is a rock face along the reef that collapsed into the ocean, and the revealed inside of the rocks are extremely reflective. When the water is calm enough, you can see your reflection." Tsireya explained. Neteyam was looking at Lo'ak, who was bouncing on the balls of his feet, probably glad for any chance to be around Tsireya any longer.

"Yeah sure, Ao'nung can look after me." Neteyam attempted a joking and moved to nudge Ao'nung. Neteyam raised his gaze to look at Ao'nung, who was wearing a smile, until he noticed Neteyam looking, and quickly returned to his stormy expression again. Dumbfounded, Neteyam turned back to Lo'ak and winked at him. The already fazed expression of his brother went dark with blush as Tsireya grabbed his hand and led him off. 

"So, got any special things for me to see?" Neteyam asked, winking once more, laughing at the shocked expression interrupting the brooding look on Ao'nung's face. 

"What- No?" Ao'nung stumbled, seeming to read into the statement more than Neteyam intended. 

"Relax dude, I haven't even introduced you to my parents yet." Neteyam nudged him again, the expression on Ao'nung's face was priceless once more. "I'm kidding!" Neteyam assured him, strangely pleased with how flustered Ao'nung was with the concept. 

"Whatever forest boy." Ao'nung half heartedly retorted, "Like I would waste time courting you." He finished, glaring at the ground as if to tear the ground in between them. 

"I was just joking-" Neteyam started, slightly hurt now, but was cut off. 

"Yeah, whatever. I got jobs to do." Ao'nung said and walked off. Tempted to grab his broad shoulder, Neteyam watched him go, wondering what had set him off.