29~ what would I do without you?

Demons began to swarm the opening of the forest as they followed their leader who wore a black cloak. "They've gone down into the forest. We were too late. Down below is where the vampire trees grow and I hear that wild beasts have also been walking around recently. We must have the special product returned in perfect condition and the merchandise cannot be eaten by anyone but us" The leader said coldly. "Do you know which direction they headed?" He asked his fellow demons. "Yes, straight south east" One of the demons said.

Meanwhile back at the forest Emma explained how some of Mr. Minervas books were coded with information on survival skills. "I've read this book! This parts about snakes. It's called 'The Adventures Of Ugo! The hero of the story is Ugo and with his partner Marvine the lemur, they travel the unexplored regions of this world. It's an adventure novel. And this I read in the book! That part about snakes!" Emma said as she opened up the book in her hands flicking through the pages. "What are you even talking about-" Ray asked as he began to grow stressed.

"The Snakes Of Alvapinera! That's it! They get trapped by snakes who are dressed as roots. They trap their prey in because they are protecting jewels" Emma said pointing to the page. "Come on Emma, yeah there's similarities but-" Ray started. Y/n grabbed Rays arm and spoke up. "No I think Emma has a point! Let's test it out" y/n said with a sneeze as Emma nodded.

Ray took out a mug from his bag. "It's not triggered by heat or vibration or sound. When the prey touches a root the tree learns its location and tracks it" Ray said. He threw his mug into a pile of the roots. In a matter of seconds the mug was smashed to pieces. "I knew it! It's by contact!" Ray said with a grin.

"Emma, just like you said these are probably the Snakes of Al Vapinera" Y/n said before Chris butted in. "Hey guys! The roots are coming closer and closer!" He said pointing to the roots.

Emma, Ray and y/n looked at eachother and began to walk towards the roots. "Y/n!? Emma?! Ray?!" The children shouted confused at their actions. The three put out their arms. "See? It's fine if you don't touch them!" Y/n said with a smile. "Huh?!" The children asked confused. "Avoid touching them and you'll be fine! The attacks only come from the roots on the walls. But look, if you don't touch them they don't attack" Emma added. "It's not scary so let's calm down!" Y/n said. "Listen carefully, we're gonna climb the tree in the back to escape. Just like our original plan, just before the roots on the wall catch up to us" Ray said.

Some of the younger children looked worried and scared. "Don't worry you guys! You've all climbed trees before in your training, right?" Y/n asked with a smile as she ruffled their hair. "But...what about when we get to the top?" Nat asked. "Can we get out? As long as we go to the top can we go to the ceiling to above ground? With everyone?" Gilda asked. "Yeah!" Emma Said confidently. "Let's go everyone!" Y/n said as she let out a small sneeze. the children cheered. "Let's get outta here!" Emma said as they all ran towards the tree.

"You sure you'll be able to make it to the top of the tree okay?" Ray asked with a worried expression. "Yeah of course! Why are you asking?" Said y/n. "I heard you sneeze a lot earlier and I'm worried you're coming down with a cold again..." he said. "I'll be fine I promise" y/n said with a smile as she kissed his cheek.

The children began to climb the massive tree with all their strength. Eventually the children reached the top of the tree and a they tore some of the old dead roots to get to the surface. Finally everyone climbed up and was on the higher ground again. "Yay we did it!" The little children cheered. Y/n sneezed "it's really cold out here" she said shivering. "Here take this" Ray said handing her his white coat that everyone wore. "But you'll be cold-" y/n started. "You need it more than me " he said as he wrapped it around her shoulders. Y/n smiled at the boys actions.