PAST DOUBT

The darkness fades away as Knockout comes-to. He is lying on a berth in the med-bay. His optics flicker open, an audible groan escaping him.

MR: "Knockout, you're awake! Thank the Allspark! I was so worried!"

Knockout props himself up on his elbow joints. Just in front of him is Moonracer, a data pad in-servo and faceplate alight with relief.

KO: "Moonracer? What happened?"

Instead of becoming angry and yelling at him, Moonracer is crestfallen and averts her gaze.

MR: "Despite your injuries, you jumped right into battle..."

SS: "Where you rightfully passed out after getting in the way."

Knockout and Moonracer turn towards the voice. It is Starscream, leaning against a table in the corner, and he does not look happy. Despite this, Knockout is relieved.

KO: "Starscream, you're okay!"

He doesn't remember much from the battle, but does remember why he jumped into the fray when he knew he shouldn't have: Starscream. The Seeker was in trouble, and Knockout felt that it was up to him to save his old friend.

Knockout wants to tell Starscream what he is thinking, what he is feeling, but the Seeker isn't in the listening mood.

SS: "Doctor, would you mind giving us the room?"

But, as always, he is in a talking mood.

MR: "Of course not. I should report Knockout's status to the others, anyway."

Despite her reluctance, Moonracer forces herself to leave the mechs alone. Once she is gone, Knockout hears Starscream approaching him from his corner. He shifts slightly, attempting to focus on something other than his pain and anxiety, as the Seeker walks into his line of sight.

Possibly to calm his nerves, for old time's sake, Knockout decides to play dumb.

KO: "Uh, Starscream, I don't..."

SS: "What? Don't what? Understand? Understand that you could've been killed trying to save me? Save the one you betrayed in the first place? I don't understand you, Knockout, I really don't! We spent all that time together, and yet, when the opportunity presented itself for something better, you threw me away like I was a pile of rusted scrap! Now all of a sudden you're trying to get close to me, like nothing ever happened? Why? Why are you such an idiot?"

The following silence is deafening. Knockout heard Starscream's grievances straight from his mouth a few times before, but this...

This is different.

Knockout can't explain it, but this time, it feels more meaningful, more personal. As if this time, Starscream put his whole entire spark into his expression.

A pair of servos grabs Knockout and pulls him against a warm chassis. The embrace is tight yet comforting, as if the one holding him cares about his well-being, and doesn't want to let go.

SS: "Never. Ever. Do that. Again."

At first, Knockout is surprised, – very surprised – but once his shock wavers and disappears, he allows himself to relax into the embrace. He wraps his arms around the Seeker's frame as well, not wanting to let go of or be apart from his friend.

KO: "I don't plan on it."