how to pet a cat

"and that is why i hate oikawa tooru"

"okay?" you were silently confused about his whole story about his middle school life but you didn't say anything.

"how's school?" you averted the topic.

"it's been boring. volleyball is great though"

"yeah. you're really good at it, i need to see one of your official games at that big volleyball place you're going to next year."

"yeah?" he kicked a stone on the sidewalk, putting his hands in his pockets.

all of a sudden, he was looking at something afar. he went behind you, grabbing onto your bag.

"is it oikawa tooru?"

you turned behind to seek a look a validation, but you didn't get it. all you saw was the horror in his eyes.

"no, it's even worse"

the sound of an anonymous being was behind some boxes.

kageyama was behind you, holding the handle of your backpack. and you knew you had no other choice but to explore.

you walked closer to the source.

"meow"

a black fluffy cat emerged from behind the dumpster.

turning around unamused, you looked at kageyamas face which was still scared, for some reason. "it's a cat"

his eyebrows remained raised, nodding his head "...i know."

your attention switched between the horrific expression in kageyamas eyes and the, not so horrifying feline that was eating out of an old tuna can.

"are you..." your eyes looked to the left side of your brain, thinking of the right words, "like, nekophobic?"

he said quietly, "nekoma?"

you shook your head "nevermind."

the amount of questions racing through your head at the moment was overwhelming.

"have you ever pet a cat?" you asked.

"there was once" kageyama put his hands together, "it was my aunt's cat."

"oh then that's good right?"

he looked you dead in the eye.

"it hated me."

he continued to stare at you as your mouth went slightly agape.

"oh." you were unsure what to do "well-"

you ducked down so you were squatting in front of the cat who took notice of you and crawled over.

"come here" you motioned for him, and so he followed, bending down like you but not very low.

you reached out your hand over its fluffy head.

"just pet it softly"

you hovered your hand over it and started to caress its fur gently. the cat seemingly fell into your touch and leaned into it.

checking up on him, you looked up at kageyama who seemed to be determined to overcome his feat.

his greatest challenge: pet a cat

he mimicked you and reached out his hand. immediately, the cat went over and sniffed his hand, making him retract and scream.

"what are you doing?" you took in his wrist.

he timidly took his hand back "it tried to bite me."

you sighed. "try again"

kageyama winced before extending his arm our again.