5

He shot up. Real life Ajax, not dream Ajax. Dream Ajax was dead. He tried not to think about how he knew it wasn't a dream. Green eyes wide, his hand immediately went for his stomach.

No blood.

His tongue flicked in his mouth, looking for any remnants of what he'd tasted in his dream.

No blood.

Fuck.

Eight pairs of eyes were glued on him by the time he managed to look up. Ajax tried not to let his alarm and confusion show. He collapsed back into the seat, apparently realising he still felt like a sword was driven through him.

That was one hell of a dream.

The people- teenagers really, aside from a five foot tall satyr, stared at him still. Some looked in suspicion, some in concern and pity. Ajax hated being scrutinized by people he didn't even know. The only familiar face was the pretty girl with dark skin and color changing eyes- Piper.

"You good?"

He didn't see who asked the question.

"Uh, no. Not really"

"Here," Ajax was vaguely aware of being handed something by Piper, but he was far too distracted to care. His mind was racing with questions.

Who were these people? Where was he? What the fuck was going on?

The main three questions were those.

"Eat, you'll feel better" Piper nudged his hand. He looked down at the yellow cube that resembled some sweet, now placed in his hand.

Did she really expect him to eat something a stranger handed him? Was it even worse that he was actually considering it?

"Pipes, you can't just hand a mortal that stuff"

"Trust me, he's one of us"

He looked back up. His eyes met Piper's again.

Everyone stared at them expectedly.

He hated the pressure he felt he was under.

He debated the pros and cons of eating this mystery sweet. Ultimately, his stomach won and Ajax moved his hand to his mouth.

Best case scenario, they're genuinely helpful. Worst case scenario... well, its not like a dead person can die twice.

Oh, to Hades with it.

He popped it in his mouth.

Ajax managed to bite some of the yellow stuff and swallow it, enjoying its taste. It tasted like a life long forgotten, like cheese popcorn, like mango ice cream, like greasy pizza, it tasted like.. home? A culmination of homes actually. It was a hug in food form. But as soon as he ingested it, numbness spread across his body and mind like the first time he had gotten drunk with the blond boy from his dreams.

For a terrifying moment, Ajax, drowned in his own thoughts, almost thought the blond boy in front of him was the same one from his memories. The same blond hair, eyebrows drawn together, menacing light eyes... but no scar. It wasn't him. It wasn't him.

Ajax was confused about why he was scared of the boy.. of Luke, since apparently they'd been friends. So much was unclear, it felt like he had no past memories, but he did. If he thought hard enough, he could remember. But that required too much energy and all he wanted to do right then was sleep. Take off, the binder that squeezed his torso and sleep.

"Hey!" It was the blond boy, "Stay awake, we need to ask you some questions"

"What the fuck did you give me?" Ajax mumbled, a little surprised at how quickly the pain had diminished. He focused all his strength. It pained him still, but he managed to sit up straight.

"It's ambrosia-" Piper said, putting a hand on Ajax's back to help him steady himself, "God food, it's good for healing"

Ambrosia... why did that sound familiar? Ajax had a sudden sense of Deja vu, as if a similar scene had happened before. He remembered another pretty girl with enchanting eyes, brown hair and melodious voice.

Then, before he could rack his brain for the girl's name, the memory vanished.

It was evident that they'd all been talking about him, some looked at Piper like she'd gone mad trying to befriend the weird new guy. Great! Now everyone was looking at him. Exactly what he wanted.

Ajax had to remind himself to take deep breaths, he would calmly excuse himself and take off the stupid binder.. it would be fine.. it would be fine.. oh gods he really couldn't breathe.

"Who are you?" The brunet from earlier- Perry? Pierre?

"You weren't supposed to be there"

"I've been told that already." Ajax snapped.

"It means something though" Piper began, "Finding you with Nico. And he's a demigod, so obviously this means something.."

The Luke look-a-like stared at her in confusion.

"He saw the giants, he saw Bacchus, he survived ambrosia. She's right" Pierre spoke up, he crossed his arms across his chest. He was tall, easily taller than Ajax, which wasn't saying much cause he remembered being pretty short. Pierre had stormy green eyes, much different than Ajax's, they were cold and calculating, debating what to do with him.

Unconsciously, Ajax drew in a short breath.

REALLY NOT THE TIME AJAX.

"Uh- I'm sorry what?" Ajax shook his head, processing what had just been said, "The giants.. yes. Otis and Ephialtes. Bacchus? The dude in the purple shirt? And.. demigod? I'm sorry, I don't know what you're talking about"

He had a vague idea.

"You know the names of the giants but not what a demigod is?" Walmart Luke looked at him as if he was debating throwing him overboard.

Over board.

Over board.

Oh fuck.

He scanned the room. He really should be more aware of his surroundings. It wasn't a room.

He was standing on a deck. The deck of a ship.

That's right, the floor was made of wood, a little to Ajax's right was a huge sail, flapping slightly in the wind. To his left, there was a bronze mast head that moved and made Ajax want to double check his eyesight.

Behind him, where there should be water, were clouds.

Holy fucking shit.

He was afraid to look down, but when he finally did, he wasn't disappointed. Dozens of oars were plowing through the air as if they really were sailing through the clouds. Surprisingly, it wasn't that cold so high up, and the rhythmic sounds of the ship were more enjoyable and grounding than Ajax first would've thought.

"If you throw up, try aiming off the ship" There was a Latino boy, partially hidden by the others. He grinned at Ajax, which put him at ease. At least someone here was friendly other than Piper.

"We'll answer if you do. Who are you?"

"I- My name is.. Uh Ajax. Ajax Avery." He stumbled through, "I think" He added as an after thought.

"You think?" it was the Latino guy that asked. He had a small grin, like he was amused by all this, but his eyebrows were furrowed. It was hard to tell whether he was being serious or sarcastic.

"I-I can't remember much" He admitted. "Just.. some small memories, some Deja vu, but as soon as I try to think about it, my mind goes blank"

Suddenly, the tall scary looking boy looked much more sympathetic. His green eyes looked at Ajax with pity as did the blond guy that looked like Luke.

"Memory loss, really sucks doesn't it?" The Luke look-a-like asked.

"Been there done that, never want to do it again"

"I'm sorry," Ajax took a shaky breath. Ambrosia may have eased his pain a little, but it still hurt. "Where- where am I?"

"Rome"