79

"You're not Orion," Ajax blurted.

A stupid comment, but it was the first thing that came to his mind.

The man before him clearly was not a hunter giant. He wasn't tall enough. He didn't have dragon legs. He didn't carry a bow or quiver, and he didn't have the headlamp eyes Reyna had described from her dream.

The grey man laughed. "Indeed not. Orion has merely employed me to assist him in his hunt. I am –"

"Lycaon," Reyna interrupted. "The first werewolf."

The man gave her a mock bow. "Reyna Ramírez-Arellano, praetor of Rome. One of Lupa's whelps! I'm pleased you recognize me. No doubt, I am the stuff of your nightmares."

"The stuff of my indigestion, perhaps." From her belt pouch, Reyna produced a foldable camping knife. She flicked it open and the wolves snarled, backing away. "I never travel without a silver weapon."

Lycaon bared his teeth. "Would you keep a dozen wolves and their king at bay with a pocketknife? I heard you were brave, filia Romana. I did not realize you were foolhardy."

Reyna's dogs crouched, ready to spring. The coach gripped his baseball bat, though for once he didn't look anxious to swing.

Nico reached for the hilt of his sword.

"Don't bother," muttered Coach Hedge. "These guys are only hurt by silver or fire. I remember them from Pikes Peak. They're annoying."

"And I remember you, Gleeson Hedge." The werewolf's eyes glowed lava red. 'My pack will be delighted to have goat meat for dinner.'

Hedge snorted. "Bring it on, mangy boy. The Hunters of Artemis are on their way right now, just like last time! That's a temple of Diana over there, you idiot. You're on their home turf!"

Once, just once Ajax wished Hedge would back down from a fight.

Again the wolves snarled and widened their circle. Some glanced nervously towards the rooftops.

Lycaon only glared at the coach. "A nice try, but I'm afraid that temple has been misnamed. I passed through here during Roman times. It was actually dedicated to the Emperor Augustus. Typical demigod vanity. Regardless, I've been much more careful since our last encounter. If the Hunters were anywhere close by, I would know."

Ajax tried to think of an escape plan. They were surrounded and outnumbered. Their only effective weapon was a pocketknife. The sceptre of Diocletian was gone. The Athena Parthenos was thirty feet above them at the top of the temple, and even if they could reach it they couldn't shadow-travel until they actually had shadows. The sun wouldn't set for hours.

He hardly felt brave, but he stepped forward. "So you've got us. What are you waiting for?"

Lycaon studied him like a new type of meat in a butcher's display case. "Ajax Avery... son of Hecate I've heard of you. I'm sorry I can't kill you promptly, but I promised my employer Orion that I would detain you until he arrives. No worries. He should be here in a few moments. Once he's done with you, I shall spill your blood and mark this place as my territory for ages to come!"

Despite the gravity of the situation, Ajax couldn't help but feel giddy at being called son of Hecate.

Nico gritted his teeth. They'd come too far, fought too many monsters for him to let this dog man kill his... gods they hadn't really put a name on it had they? "Demigod blood. The blood of Olympus."

"Of course!" Lycaon said. "Spilled upon the ground, especially sacred ground, demigod blood has many uses. With the proper incantations, it can awaken monsters or even gods. It can cause new life to spring up or make a place barren for generations. Alas, your blood will not wake Gaia herself. That honour is reserved for your friends aboard the Argo II. But fear not. Your death will be almost as painful as theirs."