32

Two days after leaving Venice is when Nico slipped into Ajax's room for the first time.

It all started because of Gale the polecat.

Ajax had woken up from a nightmare just to find the weasel on his chest.

Nothing like waking up screaming, kicking off your covers, and dancing around your cabin while a weasel scampers between your feet, screeching and farting.

Leo had been the first to rush in, alarmed by the sound. A sleepy Jason, Hazel and Piper followed him.

The weasel was difficult to explain and Ajax could tell Leo was trying hard not to crack a joke. He didn't blame him. Ajax would've done the same in his position.

Nico came in after the others had left.

"Uh, Hazel was laughing on deck, something about a wea-"

He didn't have time to register the polecat jumping on him. "AAAAAAAH GET IT OFF, GET IF OFF, SHE'S BITING ME"

Ajax tried not laugh while he plucked Gale off Nico's aviator jacket.

"Sit' He told her as he set her down on the chair. He turned back towards Nico, only to find him glaring back already. "I know, I know, I won't make a joke"

"You better not"

Nico huffed and crossed his arms.

Ajax bit the inside of his cheek. He was hunched over a bit more to hide his chest since he wasn't wearing a binder.

"Trouble sleeping?"

"Only when my sister laughs loud enough to wake me up"

"Do you.. Do you sleep on the deck?" Ajax's eyebrows furrowed. He hadn't actually asked where Nico slept, if he even slept at all. All he knew was that Nico refused to sleep in Percy or Annabeth's room.

"Top of the foremast actually"

"Why did you pick the most uncomfortable spot ever?"

"Now that you mention it-" Nico cracked his back, bending his head side to side. Ajax couldn't imagine sleeping in such a weird position. Though his attention was mostly captured by the slight skin Nico showed when he bent back and his shirt lifted.

Ajax tried not to stare at his midriff.

"Why don't you sleep in Hazel's room if you're so stubborn about Percy and Annabeth's room?"

"It's... weird" Nico widened his eyes, as if to give him a pointed look which Ajax didn't understand, "Imagine sharing a room with a sister you've known for less than a year"

"Okay, fair. What about one of the guys"

"I hate the rest of the guys"

"You said the rest" Ajax shrugged, "You could sleep here"

It was a bold request. Just two days ago they had the argument about homophobia. And even if Nico seemed cool with it, Ajax wasn't sure how he'd feel being asked to share a bed with a guy who liked guys.

"Here" Nico repeated, he stared at Ajax as if he'd grown three heads. "Like, in here"

"In my room, yes"

"There's only one bed" Nico gestured wildly to the bed Ajax was sitting on.

"I have eyes, you know" Ajax said, "Look, I was just offering. And besides, the bed is huge. I bet we could like make a pillow wall in the middle. I'm not big on physical touch either, don't worry"

"You're asking your murderer to share a bed with you"

"The guy who commanded the skeleton that was my murderer actually" Ajax corrected. "And again, no pressure. I just think it's super dangerous, sleeping where you do. What if you lose your balance and fall?"

"I'll die"

"Exactly. Can't have that" Ajax tried to mend how earnest he sounded, "I mean, I would have no one to bitch about"

"You bitch about me?"

Neither Ajax nor Nico acknowledged how Nico had come and sat next to Ajax on the bed. Gale the polecat skittered on the chair in front of them.

"Absolutely.  I'm the president of the Nico di Angelo hate club actually." Ajax joked, "Coach is the vice president"

"I hate you so much"

"Aw, I hate you too" Ajax fluttered his eyelashes, struggling to keep his face straight when Nico rolled his eyes.

Nico stood up to turn off the lights, it was late and they were all pretty tired. Gale the polecat was snoring slightly already.

"Shoes off on the bed" Ajax told Nico. The other boy complied silently.

When the lights were off, Ajax felt more comfortable. It wasn't much different to standing on deck with Nico at night.

The boy in question shuffled over to the bed again.

Ajax scooched over to make room for him, he took right side, next to the wall. There were only two pillows, so Ajax laid them end to end in the middle of the bed, fulfilling his promise. In the darkness, he couldn't see Nico, though he desperately wished he could see his expression, see what he was thinking.

This was weird, this was new. Ajax hoped he didn't look as awkward as he felt.

The two laid on their backs, trying to ignore the other until they couldn't any mroe. The night was silent, apart from Gale's soft snoring.

"So, the polecat"

"Fuck off, di Angelo" Ajax rolled his eyes. Maybe this was a bad idea. He rolled over to face the wall. Nico rolled over as well so his back was against Ajax's.

"Sweet dreams, motherfucker" Ajax mumbled.