31

Ajax didn't sleep that night. He couldn't.

He'd been on the brink of death and the thought of dying was enough to make him never want to close his eyes again.

Why him? Why him again and again?

Was this all some cruel joke by the fates? To tempt him with his worst fear until it came true?

"If you make a corn joke I'll throw you overboard"

Ajax couldn't help but laugh/ cough when Nico turned up by his side. He hadn't noticed him walk up, but instantly, he felt his presence.

"It's like you don't even know me" Ajax rolled his eyes, turning to look at Nico. It was a full moon night, something about spirits being more active which is why Nico had agreed to take night watch with Ajax. "Just one? Please?"

Nico looked like he was still debating throwing Ajax off. But he relented. "Fine"

Ajax grinned and Nico's eyes looked softer, "What did the mommy corn say to the baby corn?"

Nico didn't even pretend to look interested, "What?"

"Where's... popcorn?"

Ajax laughed by himself, not caring if Nico only glared at him. That's what made it more funny.

"I'm sorry, was that too... corn-y?"

Nico punched his shoulder.

Ajax almost had the breath knocked out of him when he saw it.. The beginnings of a smile. And there it was. Before either of them knew it, Nico was laughing.

Ajax thought he must be hallucinating. It was barely a chuckle, but it was more joy than Ajax had ever seen on Nico's face.

He laughed, not sarcastically or dryly, but a proper laugh.

He seemed younger. No. He seemed his age.

"That..." Nico tried to stop smiling. He failed. "...was the worst joke I've ever heard, I hate you"

"Right back at ya, di Angelo"

The air was cooler that night, nothing the demigods hadn't been through, but it still gave a slight color to Nico's cheeks.

It was nice, to be alone with him again.

Lately, it felt like everyone was too busy. Frank, Ajax and Nico had narrated their story and after that, the demigods had scattered again to do their jobs. They were all on the same ship, but they felt worlds apart.

Ajax was a little disappointed he hadn't been spending time with Leo and Piper, arguably his favorite people on board. Especially Leo.

He knew it was a little dumb to expect things, but they were all Greek or Roman, so there was a small chance someone else on board was queer too. Ajax really hoped it was Leo.

The others didn't pay him any mind. Ajax wasn't even sure if Leo himself knew how attractive he was.

He seemed to be constantly comparing himself to the other boys on board. So what if he wasn't tall or blond or buff or anything like that. Ajax thought he was plenty hot just being himself (see what he did there? Hot? Get it?)

"Was it scary?" Ajax asked. "Being a corn plant"

"I was just starting to enjoy tonight" Nico drummed his fingers on the rail, "Fuck you, Avery"

"That's the dream, di Angelo"

There it was again. The slight widening of eyes, the way Nico would take a step or two back, Nico would look around guiltily, swallowing. What the fuck was his problem?