26

"What are they?" Hazel asked.

The Argo II was docked at a busy wharf. On one side stretched a shipping channel about half a kilometer wide. On the other spread the city of Venice—red-tiled roofs, metal church domes, steepled towers, and sun-bleached buildings in all the colors of Valentine candy hearts—red, white, ochre, pink, and orange.

It was beautiful, Ajax couldn't help but lean slightly over the railings and stare with a wide smile at the city stretching out below them.

Everywhere there were statues of lions—on top of pedestals, over doorways, on the porticoes of the largest buildings. There were so many, Ajax figured the lion must be the city's mascot.

Where streets should have been, green canals etched their way through the neighborhoods, each one jammed with motorboats. Along the docks, the sidewalks were mobbed with tourists shopping at the T-shirt kiosks, overflowing from stores, and lounging across acres of outdoor café tables, like pods of sea lions.

The city was alive and Ajax would give anything to be just a random mortal on a vacation in Venice, unaware of the invisible threats that plagued the world.

The rest of the demigods weren't paying attention to any of that, though. They had gathered at the starboard rail to stare at the dozens of weird shaggy monsters milling through the crowds.

Each monster was about the size of a cow, with a bowed back like a broken-down horse, matted gray fur, skinny legs, and black cloven hooves. The creatures' heads seemed much too heavy for their necks. Their long, anteater-like snouts drooped to the ground. Their overgrown gray manes completely covered their eyes.

Ajax watched as one of the creatures lumbered across the promenade, snuffling and licking the pavement with its long tongue. The tourists parted around it, unconcerned. A few even petted it. Ajax wondered how the mortals could be so calm. Then the monster's appearance flickered. For a moment it turned into an old, fat beagle.

Jason grunted. "The mortals think they're stray dogs."

"Or pets roaming around," Piper said. "My dad shot a film in Venice once. I remember him telling me there were dogs everywhere. Venetians love dogs."

"Your dad...?" Ajax frowned.

Piper shifted in place, seeming uncomfortable with the topic, Ajax regretted asking. "He's.. uh, he's an actor" She explained. Ajax thought she was understating things, but he didn't press further.

"But what are they?" Frank asked, repeating Hazel's question. "They look like...starving, shaggy cows with sheepdog hair."

He waited for someone to enlighten him. Nobody volunteered any information.

"Maybe they're harmless," Leo suggested. "They're ignoring the mortals."

"Harmless!" Gleeson Hedge laughed. The satyr wore his usual gym shorts, sports shirt, and coach's whistle. His expression was as gruff as ever, but he still had one pink rubber band stuck in his hair from the prankster dwarfs in Bologna. "Valdez, how many harmless monsters have we met? We should just aim the ballistae and see what happens!"

"Uh, no," Leo said. It made sense, there were too many monsters. It would be impossible to target one without causing collateral damage in the crowds of tourists. Besides, if those creatures panicked and stampeded...

"We'll have to walk through them and hope they're peaceful," Frank said, Ajax hated the idea already. "It's the only way we're going to track down the owner of that book."

Leo pulled the leather-bound manual from underneath his arm. He'd slapped a sticky note on the cover with the address the dwarfs in Bologna had given him. The two had filled the rest in hastily, something about "treasure in Venice". Ajax, as usual, didn't know what exactly was going on but he was excited nonetheless. Treasure sounded nice.

"La Casa Nera," Leo read. "Calle Frezzeria."

Ajax watched Nico cringe at the way Leo pronounced the Italian words.  Weird, he always thought Spanish and Italian were pretty similar. Not similar enough apparently. Nico sighed and stood a little straighter. 

"The Black House," Nico translated. "Calle Frezzeria is the street."

Ajax frowned, looking at Nico. That had become a habit now- looking at each other. He looked the same, only more rested, more relaxed. The two hadn't stayed awake last night, talking like they had usually. But Ajax would rather kiss one of those shaggy cow/dogs down in Venice than admit he missed Nico's company.

"You speak Italian?" Frank asked.

Nico shot him a warning look, like: Watch the questions. He spoke calmly, though. "Frank is right. We have to find that address. The only way to do it is to walk the city. Venice is a maze. We'll have to risk the crowds and those...whatever they are."

Thunder rumbled in the clear summer sky. They'd passed through some storms the night before. Ajax had thought they were over, but now he wasn't sure. The air felt as thick and warm as sauna steam.

Jason frowned at the horizon. "Maybe I should stay on board. Lots of venti in that storm last night. If they decide to attack the ship again..."

He didn't need to finish. They'd all had experiences with angry wind spirits. Jason was the only one who had much luck fighting them.

Coach Hedge grunted. "Well, I'm out, too. If you softhearted cupcakes are going to stroll through Venice without even whacking those furry animals on the head, forget it. I don't like boring expeditions."

"It's okay, Coach." Leo grinned. "We still have to repair the foremast. Then I need your help in the engine room. I've got an idea for a new installation."

"Well..." Piper shifted her feet. "Whoever goes should be good with animals. I, uh...I'll admit I'm not great with cows."

Ajax figured there was a story behind that comment, but he decided not to ask.

"I'll go," Frank spoke up.

Ajax had to admit it made sense. He wasn't sure how much turning into animals could help, but it was their best shot.

Leo patted him on shoulder and handed him the leather-bound book. "Awesome. If you pass a hardware store, could you get me some two-by-fours and a gallon of tar?"

"Leo," Hazel chided, "it's not a shopping trip."

"I'll go with Frank" Ajax shrugged. He was slowly going to go insane from researching about the mist. And besides, it wasn't as if he was needed on board now. Might as well visit Venice since they were here already.

"I'm coming too"

From an outside perspective, Ajax had to admit, it seemed like Nico still didn't trust him. But he thought they were out of that phase now. What happened to being each other's anchors? He tried not to let his frustrations show. 

"Uh...are you two good with animals?" Frank asked.

"I used to feed this stray cat near my house" Ajax thought back about his past life, "She scratched me once, but that's okay it was probably my fault"

He pulled back the left sleeve of his blue flannel he borrowed from Piper. Sure enough, there were a few faded scars. He looked up at the others and Frank just seemed to be content having someone other than Nico with him.

Ajax could tell the others didn't like the son of Hades much. Leo had expressed his distaste for Nico to Ajax in private. In his words, Nico gave him the 'freaky-deakies'

"And you, di Angelo?" Ajax asked, "Thoughts on animals?"

Nico smiled without humor. "Most animals hate me. They can sense death. But there's something about this city...." His expression turned grim. "Lots of death. Restless spirits. If I go, I may be able to keep them at bay. Besides, as you noticed, I speak Italian."

Leo scratched his head. "Lots of death, huh? Personally, I'm trying to avoid lots of death, but you guys have fun!"

Nico stared at the canals, as if wondering what new and interesting forms of evil spirits might be lurking there. "All right, then. Let's go find the owner of that book."