14

Ajax didn't have much stuff. Still, he shoved a few pairs of clothes in a bag along with a journal he had been given to keep track of his memories. That would be of no use now. He remembered almost everything.

He nearly tripped over his feet in a hurry to get everything. 

His cheeks burned with embarrassment and his mind was disoriented. 

He didn't even want to imagine what the others were discussing about him on deck. He just wanted to get out of there as soon as possible. He'd made enough of a fool of himself. 

Plus, it was a no brainer. If Ajax was in any of their places, he'd vote to make him leave too. He understood, there was simply no way they would want him anymore. And as much as that stung, Ajax knew he deserved it.

He swallowed all the 'I'm sorry's' that came to mind. He wanted to leave with some dignity. He wouldn't beg anymore. 

A knock as the door drew his attention. 

"Leo" He said in acknowledgement. The two boys stared at each other, neither knowing what exactly to do. Ajax wished it was someone else. Maybe Jason would be happier to tell him to get off the ship, but gods, not Leo. He was one of the few people on board that he actually liked. 

Ajax tucked his lips in. 

"Don't leave" Leo managed. 

"What?"

"You- you don't have to leave. We don't want you to leave" 

Ajax faltered. No way. They were lying, they had to be lying. Leo caught the surprise in Ajax's expression. His heart tugged at how sad it was. 

A couple days ago, Leo had led Ajax below deck and explained all the crazy stuff happening. Now, Leo led him above deck, wanting the others to forgive him for what he had already done. 

All the demigods were gathered at the helm. Coach Hedge was there this time too. Piper and Jason were having an argument, Ajax had the sense it was about him. That's what he did. He ruined things. He didn't want Piper to argue with her boyfriend because of him. 

Hazel swatted them to get their attention when she saw Leo and Ajax come up. 

"I said I'll leave, I meant it. I packed my bag and everything- Wait is it cool if I take the bag and the clothes? And like maybe a bit of mortal money? i don't actually know where I'll go, especially since everyone I used to know is dead. But I'll figure something out, don't worry-"

"Shut up, Ajax" Piper interrupted. "You're not going anywhere"

"He's not?" Jason seemed just as surprised as Ajax was. "But Pipes-"

"It was war, Jason, none of it was fair. Not for anyone. Did you honestly not listen to a word he said?" 

"Piper is right" Hazel was not the person Ajax expected to speak up in his defense. She was Nico's sister after all. Ajax wasn't sure what to make of her. He wanted her to yell at him, to be mad and get it over with. But she spoke so calmly, Ajax wanted to show every sexist man that had said women were emotional, "Based on what we know so far I don't see why Ajax has to leave"

Nico opened his mouth in protest, but Hazel held up her hand. 

"You killed him, Nico. Do you understand? Murder. That's not who we are, that's not what we stand for." She looked at him briefly, pleading him to understand. "We're supposed to be the good guys, the heroes."

"He's not a hero" Nico gritted out. 

"We need him though" Leo spoke up. "You guys can think whatever you want. Blame him, call him the bad guy. But we need him. You guys know the prophecy, he controls our fate. Without him, we might as well give up now"

Jason and Nico looked like they wanted to protest. But at the end of the day, they knew better than to try and prove prophecies wrong. 

"Ajax is staying, and that's final" Frank crossed his arms over his chest. 

Jason seemed deep in thought. It was true, on one hand, they needed him. But on another- could they really trust him to do his job?

Ajax didn't know what Jason was thinking, but he kept staring at him. 

Would he argue further or would he give in?

As the self proclaimed leader, Jason had to hear out both sides and then take a call. A divided team wouldn't help them. 

"Ajax will stay"

The boy in question exhaled dramatically. He tried not to let the anxiety that pooled in his stomach show. He flashed Piper a grin, a thanks. 

She half smiled back. 

He wasn't sure where they would go from here, how they could overcome this. But Ajax wanted to try.