43

The Argo II had anchored in the bay along with six or seven cruise ships. As usual, the mortals didn't pay the trireme any attention; but just to be safe, Jason, Ajax and Nico hopped on a skiff from one of the tourist boats so they would look like part of the crowd when they came ashore.

At first glance, Split seemed like a cool place. Curving around the harbor was a long esplanade lined with palm trees. At the sidewalk cafés, European teenagers were hanging out, speaking a dozen different languages and enjoying the sunny afternoon. The air smelled of grilled meat and fresh-cut flowers.

Again, Ajax longed for normalcy. He tried to pretend he was just a normal mortal, passing through the town with his friends.

Beyond the main boulevard, the city was a hodgepodge of medieval castle towers, Roman walls, limestone town houses with red-tiled roofs, and modern office buildings all crammed together. In the distance, gray-green hills marched toward a mountain ridge, which made Jason a little nervous. He kept glancing at that rocky escarpment.

They were wandering along the esplanade when Jason spotted a guy with wings buying an ice cream bar from a street cart. The vendor lady looked bored as she counted the guy's change. Tourists navigated around the angel's huge wings without a second glance.

Ajax saw it next. He was more focused on the slight fog that surrounded his back. The mist! Ajax was just happy to be included at this point, so maybe he would point out a few things relevant to him, hang out with Jason and Nico and get to explore a new city.

Jason nudged Nico. "Are you seeing this?"

"Yeah," Nico agreed. "Maybe we should buy some ice cream."

As they made their way toward the street cart, Ajax scanned he menu. It wasn't as hot as it had been in Venice, but he was still glad they were getting something to cool down. At his side, the angel carried the a kind of jagged bronze sword.

The guy seemed pretty chill, even if Jason looked like he expected him to turn around and stab all of them.

He wore a red tank top, Bermuda shorts, and huarache sandals. His wings were a combination of russet colors, like a bantam rooster or a lazy sunset. He had a deep tan and black hair almost as curly as Leo's.

Ajax did not hide that he was checking him out.

"He's not a returned spirit," Nico murmured. He noticed Ajax staring and looked at him incredulously.

"Or a creature of the Underworld." Ajax finished his thought.

"No," Jason agreed. "I doubt they would eat chocolate-covered ice cream bars."

"So what is he?" Nico wondered.

They got within thirty feet, and the winged dude looked directly at them. He smiled, gestured over his shoulder with his ice cream bar, and dissolved into the air.

"What the fuck?"

He had met a lot of weird people, but they didn't usually vanish after looking so friendly. That was what unnerved him mainly, the fact that this guy was friendly and that he didn't try to kill them.

"I'm betting that's the palace," Jason said. "Come on."

"Ice cream first" Ajax smacked Jason's shoulder and started walking to the cart, not caring if the two were following.

Of course they followed, though Nico looked displeased. They didn't buy anything, just watched Ajax try to chose between the different flavors.

"What do you suggest?" Ajax grinned at Nico cheerfully while the other boy scowled. "It's gelato, you'd know best right?"