98

Nico wasn't sure whether to kick himself or Will Solace.

If he hadn't been so distracted being jealous of him, he would never have allowed the enemy to get so close. Obviously none of it was Ajax's fault, Nico could never blame him for anything.

As the dog-headed men barreled forward, Nico raised his sword. He doubted he had the strength left to win, but, before he could attack them, Will let out a piercing taxicab whistle.

All six dog-men dropped their weapons, grabbed their ears and fell down in agony.

"Dude." Cecil opened his mouth to pop his ears. "What the actual Hades? A little warning next time."

"It's even worse for the dogs." Will shrugged. "One of my few musical talents. I do a really awful ultrasonic whistle."

Nico didn't complain. He and Ajax waded through the dog-men, jabbing them with their sword. They dissolved into shadows. Nico had to admit they made an amazing team.

Ajax stabbed and made a joke to which Nico flipped him off, Nico had a weapon to his throat when Ajax kicked the dog man on his butt and slashed his sword, making him dissolve.

After a while, Nico just watched Ajax, too stunned to help him.

He moved fluidly, at the top of his game. Nico had seen him fight before, but not in a battle. He was unbearably cocky, knowing how good he was.

As soon as the dog men so much as looked at Nico, the next second a blade of magic would cut them in half. Ajax wasn't letting them near Nico, all around him destruction ensued, but Ajax had only two goals- keep Nico safe and kill all the monsters. All around him there was a circle of monsters that couldn't even get the chance to get close. 

Camp Halfblood may not be his home, but it could be Nico's.

One of the dog men made the mistake of thinking he had the advantage since Ajax was busy with the others. He tried to stab at Nico.

Without taking his eye off the monster he was battling, mist curled from Ajax's hand. It snaked towards the monsters near Nico. No one could see through the thick fog but when it parted, there were no more monsters, just dust. 

Nico shivered. Gods he was gay. 

Octavian and the other Romans seemed too stunned to react.

"My – my elite guard!' Octavian looked around for sympathy. "Did you see what he did to my elite guard?"

"Some dogs need to be put down." Ajax took a step forward. "Like you."

For one beautiful moment, the entire First Cohort wavered. Then they remembered themselves and levelled their pila.

"You will be destroyed!" Octavian shrieked. "You Graeci sneak around, sabotaging our weapons, attacking our men–"

"You mean the weapons you were about to fire at us?" Cecil asked.

"And the men who were about to burn our camp to ashes?" added Lou Ellen.

"Just like a Greek!" Octavian yelled. "Trying to twist things around! Well, it won't work!" He pointed to the nearest legionnaires. "You, you, you and you. Check all the onagers. Make sure they're operational. I want them fired simultaneously as soon as possible. Go!"

The four Romans ran.

Nico tried to keep his expression neutral.

Please don't check the firing trajectory, he thought.

He hoped Cecil had done his work well. It was one thing to screw up a huge weapon. It was another thing to screw it up so subtly that no one noticed until it was too late. But if anyone had that skill it would be a child of Hermes, god of trickery.