81

"No demigod should have to suffer alone the way Nico did." Reyna whispered. Ajax looked at her and nodded.

"I don't want to, but I might have to leave him after this. If-" he faltered losing his voice. How could he explain all this to her? Greeks and romans, praetor and traitor. They couldn't be more different if they tried. Yet there was something binding them together. Duty, friends, something.

"When I'm not here, you cant let them forget him" he said. "You cant let them push him away, and you cant let him push people away"

Reyna looked at him in confusion. "Why, why would you leave him?"

"I sure you've heard about my past" he hung his head. "I-uh I died in the battle of Manhattan. The one with Kronos. I was on The titans' side. This is supposed to be my second chance. But I only get this. After everything, no matter what, I have to go back... to the underworld. I'm technically dead"

"You look very alive for someone who's supposed to be dead" Reyna regarded him. "How? How did you come back? Doors of death?"

"Special permission from Hades"

"That's not possible" she frowned, "the gods-"

"The gods will do anything to save their hides" Ajax grit his teeth. "I don't know everything. All I know is that I have to go back after this. And Nico wont handle it well. I need you to promise you'll take care of him"

"I will. I promise. You care about him, a lot" Reyna wasn't asking, "I can feel it. You know my powers. Its weird, every time I try to lend you strength, I end up staring at Nico a bit longer than I would otherwise"

She pulled a disgusted face. Ajax couldn't help but laugh at that.

"He's pretty" he breathed out. "And one of the strongest people I know. He deserves everything"

"He feels the same " Reyna said. "I almost thought I liked you for a while after Vesuvius. Then I almost puked"

Ajax pressed a hand to his chest, mock disbelief on his features. "Excuse me? Am I not hot enough for you?"

"Nah" she smiled, "too idiotic for my taste."

They tried to ignore their responsibilities, bickering a little more in hushed voices, mostly Ajax trying to convince her he was a perfect candidate for having a crush on and Reyna teasing him more.

Tonight was 25 July. Seven more days until 1 August. In theory, that was plenty of time to reach Long Island. Once they completed their mission, if they completed their mission, Reyna would make sure Nico was recognized for his bravery.

Ajax watched her slip off her backpack. She tried to place it under Nico's head as a makeshift pillow, but her fingers passed right through him as if he were a shadow. She recoiled her hand.

"What?"

Ajax sucked in a breath. "Intangibility" he said "I've heard about it, children of the underworld can.. uh do that. I don't think he's doing it on purpose though"

Cold with dread, Reyna tried again. This time, she was able to lift his neck and slide the pillow under.

Had she been hallucinating?

Nico had expended so much energy travelling through shadows... perhaps he was starting to fade permanently. If he kept pushing himself to the limit for seven more days...

Ajax couldn't handle that thought. He was the one supposed to die. He'd die a hundred times over if it meant Nico could be safe.

"Don't let him shadow travel again" he told Reyna, "help me make some excuse or whatever, but no more shadow travelling for him"

She nodded solemnly.

The sound of a blender startled him out of his thoughts.

"You want a smoothie?" asked the coach. "This one is pineapple, mango, orange and banana, buried under a mound of shaved coconut. I call it the Hercules!"

"You got one with alcohol?" Ajax called out, "I could do with some vodka right about now"

Coach grinned like that's what he'd been waiting to hear. But when Reyna glared at him, he cleared his throat. "No alcohol for underage demigods, Avery. You should know better than to ask. I'm an excellent protector, you think I'm gonna let you have some, punk?"

He shrugged and winked at Ajax before turning to Reyna, offering her some smoothie.

"I – I'm all right, thanks." Reyna glanced up at the balconies ringing the atrium. It still didn't seem right to her that the restaurant was empty. A private party. HTK. "Coach, I think I'll scout the second floor. I don't like –"

A wisp of movement caught Ajax's eye. The balcony on the right – a dark shape. Above that, at the edge of the roof, several more silhouettes appeared against the orange clouds.

Reyna drew her sword, just as Ajax flicked his sword into existence, but it was too late.

A flash of silver, a faint whoosh, and the point of a needle buried itself in his neck. His vision blurred. His limbs turned to spaghetti. He collapsed next to Nico.

At the bar, the coach yelled, "Hey!"

Another whoosh. The coach collapsed with a silver dart in his neck.

Ajax tried to say, Nico, wake up. His voice wouldn't work.

Dark figures lined the rooftop. Half a dozen leaped into the courtyard, silent and graceful.

Ajax's last thought was... Nico-