46

Ajax felt like his brain was turning back into wind. He didn't understand what Zephyros was talking about, or why Nico seemed so shaken, but he had no time to think about it. The wind god disappeared in a swirl of red and gold. The summer air suddenly felt oppressive. The ground shook, and the three of them drew their swords.

Nico's eyes briefly travelled to the laurel wreath ring on Ajax's finger.

So.

The voice rushed past Ajax's ear like a bullet. When he turned, no one was there.

You come to claim the scepter.

They stood back to back, in a triangle, facing outwards. Being so close to Nico seemed unfamiliar, but Ajax was comforted no matter how angry he was at him

"Cupid," Jason called, "where are you?"

The voice laughed. It definitely didn't sound like a cute baby angel's. It sounded deep and rich, but also threatening—like a tremor before a major earthquake.

Where you least expect me, Cupid answered. As Love always is.

Something slammed into Jason and hurled him across the street. He toppled down a set of steps and sprawled on the floor of an excavated Roman basement.

I would think you'd know better, Jason Grace. Cupid's voice whirled around them. You've found true love, after all. Or do you still doubt yourself?

Ajax and Nico scrambled down the steps to him.

"You okay?" Nico asked. Jason accepted his hand and got to his feet.

"Yeah. Just sucker punched."

Oh, did you expect me to play fair? Cupid laughed. I am the god of love. I am never fair.

Ajax didn't like this, any of this.

This isn't what love is. Love isn't dangerous like this. Love doesn't hurt physically. This was all wrong. Piper would agree.

Jason had seemingly learnt from last time. He looked around cautiously, his eyes widened when he finally caught something.

Jason slashed his sword through the air, nearly cutting Ajax's t-shirt as well. He deflected whatever it was sideways. The arrow exploded against the nearest wall, peppering them with limestone shrapnel.

He hoped Jason understood the silent thanks he was thinking.

They ran up the steps. Jason pulled Nico to one side as another gust of wind toppled a column that would have crushed him flat.

"Is this guy Love or Death?" Jason growled.

Ask your friends, Cupid said. Frank, Hazel, and Percy met my counterpart, Thanatos. We are not so different. Except Death is sometimes kinder.

"We just want the scepter!" Ajax shouted. "We're trying to stop Gaea. Are you on the gods' side or not?"

A second arrow hit the ground between Ajax's feet and glowed white-hot. Nico pulled Ajax back as the arrow burst into a geyser of flame.

Love is on every side, Cupid said. And no one's side. Don't ask what Love can do for you.

"Great," Jason said. "Now he's spouting greeting card messages."

Ajax had observed what Jason was doing, mostly relying on his senses. He saw what was coming a split second before. And he intercepted it so it wouldn't hurt them.

His sword was suddenly in his hands. Movement behind him: Ajax spun, slicing his sword through the air. His blade bit into something solid.

A few ancient words came to him, Latin spewed out of his mouth. He raised his hand towards the figure.