71

By the time Ajax's eyes fluttered open, it was still dark. It felt like he'd barely just gone to sleep. But he knew he'd nearly slept for an entire day. His body ached a little thanks to uncomfortable position he had slept it, and his head still throbbed. But after scarfing down Coach's avocado sandwich, Ajax felt considerable better.

As the daylight faded, the ghosts started moving closer and in greater numbers.

Reyna told them about her dreams: the earth swallowing Camp Jupiter, Octavian closing in on Camp Half-Blood and the hunter with the glowing eyes who had shot Reyna in the gut.

Nico stared at his empty plate. "This hunter... a giant, maybe?"

Coach Hedge grunted. "I'd rather not find out. I say we keep moving."

Nico's mouth twitched.

"You are suggesting we avoid a fight?" Ajax snorted.

"Listen, kiddo, I like a smackdown as much as the next guy, but we've got enough monsters to worry about without some bounty-hunter giant tracking us across the world. I don't like the sound of those huge arrows."

"For once," Reyna said, "I agree with Hedge."

Nico unfolded his aviator jacket. He put his finger through an arrow hole in the sleeve. "I could ask for advice." Nico sounded reluctant. "Thalia Grace..."

"Jason's sister," Reyna said.

Ajax saw Nico look away. Thalia Grace... he scanned his memory. All he knew was that she was a member of the Hunters of Artemis, a close friend of Percy's and she had been at the battle of Manhattan. Ajax wasn't excited to meet her.

Another memory surfaced- Nico telling him about the quest his sister had died on- Thalia had been there. She joined the hunters before her sixteenth birthday, not wishing to be the child of the prophecy.

Nico nodded. "The Hunters of Artemis are... well, hunters. If anybody knew about this giant hunter guy, Thalia would. I could try sending her an Iris-message."

"You don't sound very excited about the idea," Reyna noticed. "Are you two... on bad terms?"

"We're fine."

"I should also try to contact my sister, Hylla," Reyna said. "Camp Jupiter is lightly defended. If Gaia attacks there, perhaps the Amazons could help."

Coach Hedge scowled. "No offence, but, uh... what's an army of Amazons going to do against a wave of dirt?"

"The dirt comes later" Ajax reminded him, "Its Camp Jupiter they have to worry about first"

"He's right, we can talk more after the next jump," Reyna decided. "Right now, we need to get out of here."

"Yeah." Nico stood. "I think we can reach Spain this time if we're lucky. Just let me –"

The mob of ghosts vanished, like a mass of birthday candles blown out in a single breath.

Ajax's sword appeared in his hand. It cast an eerie green glow over his face. "Where did they go?"

Nico's eyes flitted across the ruins. His expression was not reassuring. "I – I'm not sure, but I don't think it's a good sign. Keep a lookout. I'll get harnessed up. Should only take a few seconds."

Gleeson Hedge rose to his hooves. 'A few seconds you do not have.'

Ajax thought Gaea herself was squeezing his insides. Hedge spoke with a woman's voice – the same one Ajax had heard in countless nightmares.

Reyna drew her knife. Hedge turned towards her, his face expressionless. His eyes were solid black. 'Be glad, Reyna Ramírez-Arellano. You will die as a Roman. You will join the ghosts of Pompeii.' The ground rumbled. All around the courtyard, spirals of ash swirled into the air. They solidified into crude human figures – earthen shells like the ones in the museum. They stared at Reyna, their eyes ragged holes in faces of rock. 'The earth will swallow you,' Hedge said in the voice of Gaia. 'Just as it swallowed them.'