50

Ajax didn't know much about the Mediterranean, but he was pretty sure it wasn't supposed to freeze in July.

Two days out to sea from Split, gray clouds swallowed the sky. The waves turned choppy. Cold drizzle sprayed across the deck, forming ice on the rails and the ropes.

"It's the scepter," Nico murmured, hefting the ancient staff. "It has to be."

It made sense that the scepter might have caused this weather change. The black orb on top seemed to leach the color right out of the air. The golden eagles at its base glinted coldly. The scepter could supposedly control the dead, and it definitely gave off bad vibes. Coach Hedge had taken one look at the thing, turned pale, and announced that he was going to his room to console himself with Chuck Norris videos. (Although Ajax suspected that he was actually making Iris-messages back home)

Ajax glanced at Jason, their conversation from the day before came to mind.

"You're good for him. He knows that"

"I just hope you keep your mouth shut. If you tell anyone without asking if he's comfortable with it-"

"I get it" Jason had said. "I won't. I promise. I'm not like that. What Cupid did was fucked up. Nico deserved  to tell us in his own time, not because he was forced"

"Exactly" Ajax straightened up. He'd come on deck to threaten Jason, maybe act a bit like Nico in the way he was always so creepy. But Jason was genuinely a great guy. Ajax just couldn't be mean to him.

"And you too. I'm happy you stood up for him, but you didn't have to say it either." Jason continued. "I won't tell anyone that of course"

"Piper knows already, Coach too, I think. He called me when there was a gay commercial on tv cause he thought it was something I would like"

"Still, if anyone bothers the two of you-"

"What you'll go beat them up?"

"No I'll educate them. I read about that stuff, you know. We're literally Greek, Ajax. There's hundreds of myths about it."

"Thanks man, you're the best"

"We can't talk up here," Jason decided. "Let's postpone the meeting."

They'd all gathered on the quarterdeck to discuss strategy as they got closer to Epirus. Now it was clearly not a good place to hang out. Wind swept frost across the deck. The sea churned beneath them.

Ajax didn't mind the waves so much. The rocking and pitching was calming. But he could tell Hazel wasn't doing well. The poor girl got seasick even in calm waters. She looked like she was trying to swallow a billiard ball.

"Need to—" Hazel gagged and pointed below.

"Yeah, go." Nico kissed her cheek, which Ajax found surprising. He hardly ever made gestures of affection, even to his sister. Though he remembered waking up in the middle of the night, Nico's hand over his own. What did that mean?

"I'll walk you down." Frank put his arm around Hazel's waist and helped her to the stairs.

Ajax hoped Hazel would be okay. He hadn't exactly hung out with her, he was no where near being her friend. But he had caught her talking to Frank about how it didn't matter if Ajax and Nico had something going on. She was fierce, like Nico, but spoke deathly calm unlike Nico's frantic yelling and hand gestures.

Ajax admired her.

Nico brushed some ice from his hair. Ajax smiled a little, it was.. Cute. Nico frowned at the scepter of Diocletian. "I should put this thing away. If it's really causing the weather, maybe taking it below deck will help..."

"Sure," Jason said.

Nico glanced at Piper and Leo, as if worried what they might say when he was gone. Ajax felt his defenses going up, like he was curling into a psychological ball.

"Ajax?" Nico called to him. Ever since Cupid, Nico had been more open about when he wanted Ajax to come with him. They were friends, they established that.

"Yeah, loverboy" Piper grinned. Ajax scowled at her. "Go"

"Loverboy?" Leo furrowed his eyebrows. "Kinda see it though. Loverboy. It fits you"

Ajax threw up his arms in frustration.

"You just give off Loverboy vibes" Leo explained.

Ajax flushed, not sure if he was blushing because of what Leo said or because Nico was looking at him like a baby deer, with big brown eyes.

He followed Nico below deck.

WHEN I TELL YOU YOU GUYS ARE NOT READY FOR THE NEXT FEW CHAPTERS HOLY SHIT I CANT BELIEVE WE'RE ALMOST THERE. SIT TIGHT AND ENJOY THE RIDE :)