68

When night fell, and Piper had eventually stopped giggling whenever she looked at Nico and Ajax, all of them had gathered beside the ship.

"Be careful" Jason told Ajax as they half hugged. Ajax couldn't help but land a kiss on Jason's cheek which earned him a playful chuckle.

"You too, man"

Piper was next, and she practically tackled Ajax with a hug. Leo, from beside her grinned before joining in. Ajax tried to slow his breathing so he didn't feel uncomfortable, like he was being squeezed by the physical contact.

No matter how much he liked a person, sometimes physical contact was too much.

Ajax looked between the two demigods hugging him and then towards Jason.

To storm or fire, the world must fall.

"Take care of each other" He told his friends. "I know I joke around a lot, but I really do love you guys. Thanks for everything. Kick Gaea's ass and then come to Camp Halfblood"

Leo broke away first and nodded, "As if you're getting rid of us that easily"

Ajax didn't have the heart to tell them that after all of this died down, they would be rid of him. How was he going to handle it? Would he try for rebirth? Would he want to forget all of this ever happened? What would he do?

Anxiety threatened to pull him in different directions.

Ajax looked at Nico as Piper also pulled away. "You two are good for each other" she said, "Do you job- take them to Camp and protect them. Don't try to be a hero in an unnecessary place"

Ajax nodded. Jason's eyes were already glossy. Ajax thought if he talked with them more, he would definitely burst down crying.

Frank caught him off guard in a bear hug.

No, like a literal bear hug.

All Ajax registered was a wall of dark fur slamming into him. He panicked briefly and was vaguely aware of angry italian curses being spewed.

Frank turned back into a human. He'd turned into a bear to help the unloading of the statue. Now, he just grinned sheepishly at the ground.

Nico crossed his arms and glared at him.

"Enough touchy feely stuff"

If Ajax didn't know better, he would've thought Nico was actually jealous.

"We need to go" Nico turned to him. Though the son of Hades kept looking for someone.

Hazel didn't take long to come. Nico sighed with relief. He kissed her forehead, and turned to glare at Frank with all the fury he could manage. It was kind of cute.

Ajax resisted the urge to laugh.

"I know she's more than capable of protecting herself, but bring her back safe"

Frank nodded quickly as if the thought of Hazel getting hurt was absurd, "I won't let anything happen to her"

Nico was satisfied with the answer, he almost seemed to smile.

Ajax pressed a kiss to Hazel's cheek too. "See you guys soon"

"He likes you" Hazel whispered in Ajax's ear when he had leaned in, "A lot, look after him"

"I will" Ajax whispered back.

A minute later, Reyna and Coach Hedge arrived in full armor with packs over their shoulders. Reyna looked grim and ready for combat. Coach Hedge grinned like he was expecting a surprise party.

Reyna gave Annabeth a hug. "We will succeed," she promised.

"I know you will," Annabeth said.

Coach Hedge shouldered his baseball bat. "Yeah, don't worry. I'm going to get to camp and see my baby! Uh, I mean I'm going to get this baby to camp!" He patted the leg of the Athena Parthenos.

"All right," said Nico. "Grab the ropes, please. Here we go."

Ajax looked back at the ship that had been his home for the last few months. He looked back at his friends and waved with a smile.

He didn't want to forget them, he didn't want to forget this. He didn't want to die again.

Reyna, Ajax and Hedge took hold of the ropes. The air darkened. The Athena Parthenos collapsed into its own shadow and disappeared, along with its four escorts.