20-Betty✯

BETTY I WONT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS ABOUT WHY YOU SWITCHED YOUR HOMEROOM BUT I THINK ITS CAUSE OF ME
_______________________________________

☾⋆⁺₊🎧✧

JADEN POV:

I will never be able to express how much I love uncle Jeffrey.Technically he's not my uncle but he raised me.And trust me family is not always about sharing the same blood,it's about the bond that you share with a person or a specific group of people.The bond him and I share has always been special.He's always treated me like his own child which always made me feel special.

I thought he would be the only one to understand me.The only one who would listen to me no matter how many problems he has going on.

But yesterday I realized that maybe there are people who'd understand me if I opened up to them.Maybe there is a person who would call me by my name instead of calling me "Javons twin".And maybe-just hear me out-maybe this persons name is Y/N.

Yesterday I told her more things,I have ever told my father.And as you know I told her little to nothing.

The bell rings as I enter the door of Jeffrey's.

"Hey Jaden!"says Fred.

He's Jeffrey's youngest child,works here and goes to my school.And even though he's about my age,we don't really talk.Well he wants to but I guess I don't.

"Hey,is uncle jeff upstairs?"I ask.

"Yup he is"

I nod as in to say say 'thank you'.I walk up the stairs to the apartment and look at the photos hanging on the wall.My gaze captures one in particular.It's a picture of jeff and his wife.He hugs her from behind.His face in the crook of her neck and their both smiling while holding each other and he looks so utterly happy.Looking at this and Thinking about how he's feeling right now makes me sick to my stomach.He always tells me he's fine and as much as I want to believe it,I know he's not.

I knock at the door before entering.

"Come inside!"he screams.

I open the door and step inside.He's sitting on his old grey armchair.

"Hey Jeff"

His face lights up once he sees me.

"Hello jaden!How are you son?"

"To be honest I don't really know myself.How are you?"

He hesitates before answering:"Kid I won't lie to you I've never felt this shitty."

This does not reassure me at all.But he probably didn't even want to so it's okay.He wants me to be prepared for when he..well passes away.

I nod looking down,my eyes getting watery at the thought of him having to say goodbye to me and he seems to notice.

"Jaden-"

"Jeff I wanted to talk to you about something."I interrupt him nonetheless he doesn't seem to matter.

"Something or someone?"he smirks.

"How did you know?"

"Kid I'm not fucking stupid.I know you very well and I haven't seen that look in your eyes for a while now."

I can't resist to smile.

"Well there's a girl and I think I might like her."

"Well that's great isn't it?"

"You know I don't believe in soulmates and that bullshit."

"Yeah I do and I think that this thought of yours is bullshit."

I ignore him and go on:"I fucked up."

"Of course you did!And how exactly did you manage to do that?Did you cheat on her?Did you tell her she deserves better?Please don't tell me you broke up with her with the excuse 'I love you too much' cause if you did I'd fucking kill you."he stands up and points his cane stick at my face.

"No.We're not even together."

"Well shit that's depressing.But-how did you mess up if you two aren't even together?"

"I'm going to mess things up if I get with her.The truth will eventually come out."

"Kid I'm not following you."

"The first time I was payed to look after her.Then another time for the same reason.Then another time.But this time I was payed to act like I was in love with her and to make her prom unforgettable,"

I look at him to see if he's understanding at which he nods so I go on.

"I took her out yesterday night to, you know,do something with her.So we came here and we made waffles.The thing is;I thought it would have been hard to fake to be... in love?But I didn't even have to try and fake.I wanted it to stop but I couldn't.It felt so natural to talk to her so...comforting."

There's an awkward silence for a couple of seconds he's looking at the floor.Then he finally says something.

"Let me understand.You were payed to look after her at parties then to fake to be in love with her so she could have an unforgettable prom.Yesterday you took her out and realized you might love her?"he asks,skeptical.

"I wouldn't use the word love-"

"Who payed you?"he asks his eyebrows furrowed looking confused.

"Her parents."

"It's not really that big of a problem if she doesn't want to go to prom with you-"

"She said yes and sadly-well not in every sense-
I think she might be interested in me."

"Fuck that's messed up.What the hell were you thinking?What the actual fuck were her parents thinking?How much did they pay you?"

"To look after her 50 bucks each time and $230
to take her to prom."

"That's shit.That's just-what the fuck."

"I know jeff."

"Well the best thing is you tell her everything.Like everything and then explain yourself.Tell her you actually are in love-"

"I'm not."

"Oh i'm sure you aren't"

"I won't tell her anything.It'll make everything worse."I say.

"Weren't you the one who told me that one day or another the truth will come out?"

I'm silent because he was indeed right.Maybe I should tell her everything.

"Okay I'm going home I'll text and tell her everything."

"Good,son."

I take my jacket,my keys and phone and start to walk towards the door but I hear Jeffrey's voice.

"Jaden"

"yeah?"

"Maybe if you care that much about this relationship,it's probably more than just attraction.I'm not making an assumption about the fact that you might indeed love her but maybe you should think about it because once you've lost her..you've lost her forever."