13

Mrs. Xiao suddenly changed the topic back to Xiao Zhan's study, "How are you in the university? Have you gained new friends?"

Xiao Zhan chuckled and wiped his tears using the back of his palm. He nodded and hummed, "Xuan Lu has a cousin, I forgot to mention the last time I visited. His name is Zhuocheng. he is a freshman... or junior. I don't really remember."

Mrs. Xiao nodded, "That's good to hear, My A-Zhan get to meet new people. I should make some food tomorrow for you to bring to them the next time you meet, hm?"

Xiao Zhan sniffs, "I think that's a great idea. They will definitely love it."

Xiao Zhan is not sure if mentioning Cheng Xiao would be appropriate so he decided to not bring up another topic about meeting her. He got up, "I'll just drink some water. Do you want some?"

Mrs. Xiao shakes her head and politely declined Xiao Zhan's offer, "I'm good."

Xiao Zhan smiled and silently walked towards the kitchen. Xiao Zhan felt thirsty after a good amount of liquid went out of his eyes that he could feel his mouth drying. He picked up a cup and fetched enough water to fill it up. He gulped them all and let out an audible sigh. Hydrated, Xiao Zhan went outside. He saw Mr. Xiao sitting by the backyard on a big stone just on the corner. The older man looks like he just watered the plants in the backyard and is taking a little break.

He approached his father, grass being stepped on could be heard. He didn't look at his father's eyes but he did try to catch his attention, "Can I talk to you?"

Mr. Xiao didn't answer Xiao Zhan but spoke, "I heard what you and your mother talked about."

Xiao Zhan lowered his head as he could feel his eyes starting to tear up the nth time today, "Baba..."

Mr. Xiao continued, "You can cry all you want. Regardless of whether I agree or not with you, I do agree with your mother. I had hopes for you even when you were just a child. I remember how I hoped you would find a woman who you will get married to and hopefully have a family with but who knows life wouldn't want me to see that. I am your father and you're my son. I may get mad at you but I will never hate you. You can marry anyone you like. You're a grown man. I just want you to do well in your studies and be successful in life."

Xiao Zhan gulped, not responding.

Mr. Xiao seemed to notice how Xiao Zhan would not respond at any moment, so he decided to stand up and held Xiao Zhan's shoulder. Xiao Zhan almost lose his balance at how hard and heavy his father's hands on his shoulder but it is not comparable on how his heart suddenly lighten after hearing his father's words, "Regardless of what you are and what you want to do, as long as nobody will get hurt, I trust your decisions. Do you hear me?"

Xiao Zhan knew he couldn't trust his voice, so all he could do was sniff and nod at his father.

Mr. Xiao, "I just want you safe and sound like how I protected you when you were a child."

Xiao Zhan nodded again.

Mr. Xiao removed his hands, his voice deepened, "Is it Yibo?"

Xiao Zhan suddenly felt nervous.

Mr. Xiao didn't wait for Xiao Zhan to answer, he then continued, "I don't know if he had told you but the last time he went here, he asked for our permission if he could court you if ever you accepted his confession. I was mad, mad. I forbid him, I told him that I know him even just confessing his feelings to you would possibly wreck your friendship. In this situation, I think that lad still did it. It's not surprising, that young man is too confident and courageous."

Xiao Zhan gulped, "So, that's indeed what happened?"

Mr. Xiao, "Indeed. I know it would take you a long time to accept it. I see a glimpse of how your friendship evolved. I was happy to see you finally having a best friend and I didn't want to ruin that. I have noticed even before how clingy he becomes whenever he is with you, the way he looks at you, I thought it is just how he acts with his friends but I was wrong when he told me he likes you. Have I told you I was mad? Well, the truth is I was indeed mad but fear was the first thing I felt when he told me that. I know he is a good man and you are as well but as a father, I just couldn't help but worry."

Xiao Zhan, "I understand."

Mr. Xiao, "I know you do. But then, again, it is your life to make a decision."

Xiao Zhan understands.

Cheng Xiao and Wang Yibo are at the nearby restaurant just at least a mile away from Xiao Zhan's apartment. Cheng Xiao is busy munching on hotpot while Wang Yibo is busy looking at his phone, waiting for Xiao Zhan to call him back.

Cheng Xiao noticed Wang Yibo's turning on and off of his phone. She decided to ask him, "He's still not answering?"

Wang Yibo turned off the phone and looked at her. He sighed, leaned on the chair and shook his head, "No."

Cheng Xiao nodded, "I'll try reaching him out later then. Maybe he'll pick up."

Wang Yibo nodded and smiled, "Thanks."

Cheng Xiao smiled back, "No need."

Wang Yibo turned his attention to the food in front of him and then he just realized he hadn't eaten the whole day and could feel his stomach growling. He finally decided to join Cheng Xiao and ate.

In the middle of short chitchats of the two, a sudden rain had poured from the sky.

Cheng Xiao frowned, "We have no umbrella. How are we going to go back?!"

Wang Yibo shrugged, his mouth still full of food inside, he murmured, "Let's worry later. I'm still hungry."

Cheng Xiao looked at Wang Yibo plainly. They looked at each other for a minute while Wang Yibo continuously munched the food. Wang Yibo finally smiled after a whole day of frown not leaving his face. Cheng Xiao laughed loudly when some soup trailed down from Wang Yibo's mouth to his chin.

Cheng Xiao scolded him, "That's what happens when you don't eat on time. Eating so messy, you act like a child. I'll go get some tissues."

Wang Yibo wiped the soup on his chin with his hand and waited for Cheng Xiao to come back.

She came back to him and wiped Wang Yibo's hands and after that, she gave the rest to Wang Yibo for him to wipe off the rest of the soup on his chin.

Wang Yibo looked at Cheng Xiao and smiled apologetically while Cheng Xiao just rolled her eyes playfully.

Wang Yibo has unconsciously forgotten about Xiao Zhan after months of thinking about him.