t w e n t y - t h r e e

Midnight arrived so quickly, like a thief in the night. The full moon was hanging high above the city and its supposedly sleeping residents.

I was alone in the room. Since Jay had called, the house had taken on an eerie atmosphere, and everyone appeared to be so preoccupied with other tasks that not even a man was dispatched to watch after me in my room. There was something off, and it killed me not to know what the matter in question was. I had to know what was going on right here in this very house. To whom was it all related?

I still couldn't make any connections. If Ateez truly knew nothing about Jay, why didn't they manage to do something the moment they knew something was off at the party? How did they permit those men to carry me away when they had the opportunity to stop it? Guess it was too late for everything after all.

And Felix? I did believe he knew more than I thought, but was that what disappointed me the most? Knowing he had far more potential than any other man I'd ever met to do something.

No, there was no intentional need to engage in a mental conflict.

But I couldn't help allowing my thoughts to wander there.

Yet he injured me by failing to disclose his motives for doing all of this from the beginning. What went through his mind the moment he outlined his dull plan? Had he noticed that I was edging closer and closer to liking him? Or did he truly intend to leave me there in the midst, being foolish? Stupid. And from every perspective, it was.

I resented myself for allowing a man to influence my emotions in that way. I made a commitment to discipline myself when it came to these types of things, but I kept breaking that pledge. Couldn't I just learn from my prior errors? Were my family and Wooyoung not sufficient examples? It seemed as if it was something I truthfully and urgently needed to change. And therefore, I was unable to do so because it was already too late once I discovered what the genuine issue was.

Wooyoung, were you right about him, or did you just want to make me yours in that way?

For a brief period, my heart stopped pounding when the door burst open. Heesung came in with Sunoo. He rushed toward me and grabbed me by my arm in order to make me stand, and I found it difficult to find my balance. Not so surprisingly, my vision went black for a second because of the lack of food. Since my body had not received enough calories to carry out its usual life-supporting functions, it had begun to convert glycogen from my liver and muscles into glucose. That clarified why I had an urge to vomit out of the blue. Anyway, it wasn't really the right time to explain the incident to myself.

"You stay very still and behave." He harshly turned me around and checked if the ropes were still tight around my wrists in case I would get the opportunity to flee.

"Good. Sunoo take her to the car. I need to check something."

"Where are we going?" I questioned, with a perplexed frown on my face as the boy kept pushing me from behind towards the door.

"It's time for action, quite exciting." Heesung replied from the back of the chamber without glancing at me.

"They've found us." Sunoo whispered right behind me. Now, this could not get any more intriguing, could it?

They had found the location. They finally knew where I was held hostage. I kept telling myself the same thing, brushing off the fact that I was about to trip over the object that was impeding the path leading us out of here. The most essential information to discover was actually who had found me.  There was more than one opportunity; note that.

"Isn't it foolish?" I asked, watching him in pure amusement as he stuck his head next to mine and gave me a quick glance.

"Isn't it a bit too early for you to get excited like this?" A puzzled expression donned my face because I knew he was correct, but my pride just wouldn't let me admit anything right now.