t w e n t y - f o u r

My hands were awfully cold and sweaty. Many seconds had elapsed and I was still waiting for the unidentified sensation to spread throughout my entire body: the cold bullet penetrating my skull. If a further move was made, was it truly going to happen? I made an effort to estimate all the potential outcomes, but I wasn't sure what the repercussions of these choices would be.

Everyone appeared incapable of doing anything out of fear of doing something incorrectly. I perfectly understood the situation. One small assumption of progress, and it could be over for me.

I'm not sure if I should be relieved that my pleas went unanswered. Maybe it was for the best that they cast it aside. I couldn't tempt anything else, but there had to be another option to bring me to the other side of the field, even if there was no way something could grab their attention that mattered more than me right now, nor was there anyone who could persuade them to reconsider their plans.

Their boss, whoever this man was, was trying to expand his empire into new territories, and they were prepared to do anything to achieve their objective of joining the elite world. This was why I was here, and it all made perfectly sense. My father was the one who tried to prevent it. He had it all, and he was able to achieve it because he was powerful, because he was a member of the elite circle. And they knew exactly how to stab him and rub salt into his wound to get where they wanted. This was the reason I had begged him to let me go: to not find myself in this position of being the victim. Of course, he believed it was a bad idea to let me go since he wouldn't be able to observe every move I made to ensure my protection. That's why he'd hired those two gangs: to keep an eye on me. And it was miraculously advantageous for him if I was friends with one of the gangs.

"I can't believe you'd be so damn stupid to show up here." Heesung said this while straightening his back slowly and stretching to his full height, as if it would have a more important impact. Despite having a couple extra inches on most of my friends, it didn't make any difference.

I reached my breaking point with all of this. It appeared that there was no hope of rescue. Pull the trigger. Just fucking pull the trigger and end this. The outcome didn't matter because I was the one they wanted to hurt to reach my dad.

"Heesung, what is it that you need from my father?" Somehow, saying out loud his name had a nefarious effect on me.

"See? She's visibly willing to help us." The tension was indescribable.

"Stroke a nerve? Or is it the fact that she's choosing us after realizing where true power lies?" What on earth was he talking about? He was insane.

"I don't choose power. I'm never gonna choose to be on anyone's side if that isn't clear for you." I said.

"Shut it!" He screamed, startling me. I forgot for a second that I couldn't let him get under my skin and let out my anger.

"You're awfully confident for someone being threatened by a man with a gun." Mingi exclaimed.

"If you were going to shoot me, you would have done it the second I stepped out of the building. Oh, but of course, it's impossible." He looked at me and shook his head, as if he understood what a bad situation this was. But then he continued.

"Turns out you're like your old man. He always hesitated to pull the trigger, too." That's true. If there was one thing I could proudly admit about my father, it was that he never purposefully hurt or killed innocent people.

"If we pull this trigger, we're no better than you." San said. I shook my head slowly. "No better than every other member of the circle."

Heesung didn't reply to that. It seemed like he carefully analyzed his words.