ELEVEN

CHAPTER ELEVEN
' I CAN TELL YOU'RE HIDING SOMETHING. '

Eddie paced along the expanse of the corridor, her hands shoved in her pockets. Her tongue ran across her teeth, and her eyebrows pulled into a furrow. Something moved in the corner of her eye, and she whipped around.

"Not again," she murmured, shaking her head.

It vanished the moment she spoke, and she pulled one of her hands from her pockets to push her hair away from her face. Taking a deep breath, she covered her eyes with her palm.

"I'm going crazy," she whispered.

"Eddie?"

She turned to find Viktor hovering behind her. "Hey, Viktor," she replied softly.

"I need to ask you something."

"You just did."

Viktor smiled briefly before shaking his head and moving towards her. "Shut up." He glanced over his shoulder, and Harlan stepped out of the room. Eddie was silent, and she looked back at her brother for an explanation. "The whole family voted to hand him over to the Sparrows, but there's still a chance I can save him. I can take back his powers."

"Okay," Eddie replied. "What do you want me to do?"

Viktor visibly relaxed at her words, letting out a sigh of relief. "Get him out of town."

"I need to be here for the Kugelblitz."

Viktor glanced over his shoulder. "Eddie, Five told me how ill you are. Do you really think that all this will make you better? I know you don't think about yourself, so this is me looking out for you."

Eddie remained silent.

"You'd do the same for me."

She looked away and closed her eyes briefly. With a clenched jaw, she finally nodded. "Okay."

Viktor shifted before nodding his head at Harlan. "Okay. Harlan, you're gonna go with Eddie for a bit." He looked back at her. "I'll join you as soon as I can. I promise."

Eddie looked at Harlan for a long moment. "Come on then."

\_|_/\_|_/\_|_/

The duo waited in an abandoned parking lot, silence sitting between them as Harlan listened to his mixtapes and Eddie lay on the tarmac, staring at the sky. Her hands folded over her stomach, and she watched the clouds drift slowly.

Harlan shifted from where he sat on the boot of a truck, feet dangling from the edge. He pulled his headphones off his ears and stared at Eddie, waiting for her to notice him.

Her eyes flickered to him, and she raised her eyebrow.

"You're like me," he spoke.

"You mean autistic?" Eddie replied. "Yeah, I am."

"Do you listen to tapes? To help control your power?"

"No. Our powers are different. I can't necessarily control mine the way you do. What do you listen to anyway?"

Harlan looked up at the sky. "Sometimes, trees or trains going over tracks. But, just now, I was listening to you."

"Me?"

"Everyone has their own vibration."

"Like a sonic fingerprint?" Eddie looked over at him again. "What's mine sound like?"

"Wrong."

She hummed in reply, taking no offence to his words. "Interesting."

"Hey!" Both Eddie and Harlan shifted, the first sitting up and seeing Vitkor. "You two getting along?" he asked.