TWELVE

CHAPTER TWELVE
' IS THAT TRUE? '

Eddie paced, eyebrows pulled into a furrow, and her jaw clenched. Her eyes remained on the ground, not looking at Viktor and Harlan as they tried again. She had to keep moving so she didn't fall asleep. With a screaming body, Eddie began to shiver as the cold set in. The sky darkened as a rumble of thunder shot through the sky.

She looked up to the duo hovering in the hair. Viktor let out a scream, and her eyes widened. Her hand shot out, and power launched into it. A blast of wind curved around her body, followed by a circle of fire exploding out. Eddie gasped, everything hitting her at one, and she collapsed in a heap.

"Viktor!"

Eddie placed her hand on her head, the world spinning, and she felt bile rise in her throat. Viktor and Eddie's vehicle alarms set off, and the noise blared throughout the courtyard. Energy burst outwards, and she could only watch it explode over her head from where she limply lay.

"Viktor!" Allison rushed forward as he and Harlan erupted into screams.

It all suddenly stopped, and the two dropped to the floor. Sweat dripped down Eddie's face as she breathed laboriously.

The sky swirled above her, the blue and white of the clouds blending into spirals. Their muffled voices filtered through her ears, but Eddie focused all her energy on staying awake.

"Oh, my God, Eddie!" Viktor dropped to his knees beside her.

"What the Hell happened?" Allison asked, eyes wide and confused.

"She's sick," he replied, gently touching her face.

"What do you mean sick?"

"Cancer," Eddie choked out quietly, gasping for a breath.

"What?"

The redhead's hand clumsily found Viktor's knee, and she pulled herself to sit up. Her chest heaved, and a cough escaped her. "Had it for a while now." Viktor's hand moved to help her sit up, and Allison sat there, staring at her in shock.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Well, don't take it personally, I only told Viktor. Five worked it out when he did all the time travelling before the world ended the first time."

Viktor furrowed his eyebrows. "How did he work it out?"

Eddie let out a small laugh, but it turned into a cough. "I died, apparently."

Allison shook her head. "How are you so blasé about this?"

She shrugged. "I'm going to blame my autism, or maybe it's a trauma response. Who knows? Okay, help me up."

"Are you- are you sure?"

"No, actually, I rather like sitting on this uncomfortable, cold floor, but thanks for checking up."

\_|_/\_|_/\_|_/

"Eddie!"

She screamed, reeling up and grabbing Viktor's shoulders. She recognised him quickly, letting out a long groan before massaging her head. "Viktor," she replied breathlessly.

"Harlan's gone!"

"He probably went home. Didn't you tell him to go?"

"Allison is gone too."

"And maybe she took him home. Viktor-"

"-You don't understand," he snapped, pulling away from her. "Allison wouldn't have taken him without telling me. The Sparrows must have them."