7

"Aah, how I've missed your voice..."

"Jeon Jungkook."

"Have I ever told you this? You sound hot when you're angry and when your voice goes soo low. Like you want to tear me apart with your bare hands...It's devastating."

"Don't think you can change the subject with your lame pick-up lines, Jungkook," Heiran stated, determined not to let him get away with his tricks anymore. She had far learned her lesson to let him do that again. Jungkook sucked in a breath.

"Hmmm, let's just say I'm on a secret mission to catch the bad guys."

"The what—"

"Shhh. Hear that," Heiran listened carefully but couldn't pick up anything other than creaks of crickets from wherever he was. "It's them. The bad guys."

She sighed, "Jeon Jungkook, don't you dare treat me like a child! Tell me what's going on before I report you missing."

"Okay, okay, jeez." It seemed that the man on the other side didn't yet understand the seriousness of his actions. Heiran clenched her fists. No. It wasn't that he didn't get it. He was pretending. "It's just like I said. I'm on a personal mission to catch a very dangerous organization. I'll be back as soon as I clear things here. It's nothing much."

"Not good enough," Heiran warned.

"Jagiya. I'm fine and alive. Don't you worry about me. Tell me about yourself. Did you eat your meals? Did you sleep well? Did you miss me too much?"

That little **** didn't pick up his phone for the last two and a half weeks and now he wants to know how my day went?  Fury bubbled up inside her at his blatant avoidance of the subject, but she calmed herself. One last chance. She would give him one last chance.

"Jungkook, just tell me. Whatever it is, I won't hold you back. You know I wouldn't. I just need to know. We can even do this together."

She bit her lips as silence engulfed the other side. Even the crickets seemed to grow quiet.

"Ran, I... I know that but...It's my battle to fight," Jungkook finally seemed to let go of his act, his voice solemn and a little sad. "I don't want to drag you into my personal issues."

"Your personal issues? Jungkook, what am I to you?" Heiran bristled, a pinprick of hurt poking at her heart.

"No, Ran, that's not what I meant," he seemed to sigh. Heiran could almost envision him dragging his hands over his face. "They're dangerous."

"I can handle it. I'm not weak."

"You know I don't think that you're weak. In fact, I think you're the most powerful woman I've ever met, but I can't have you attracting their attention. They're really, really dangerous."

"Then what are you doing getting yourself involved in something so dangerous, Jungkook?" She bit back, his lack of trust in her only fuelled her suppressed anger.

"Ran, I need to fight this battle. I have to know the answer—"

"Then tell me. I can fight with you or be there for you. Please, just let me help you. I don't want to remain in the dark." Heiran pleaded, hoping to crack his stone-walled defense. Jungkook could always form well-formed defensive walls around him if he put his mind to it. But the person he became when he receded into his shell scared her. It was an entirely different person there. A man who never smiled.

"Ran..." His call was a plea as if it hurt him to reject her request. He drew a deep breath, gathering the last ounce of determination he had left in him, and spoke, "Ran, you're exactly where I need you to be. Just be patient and wait for me. I will manage on my own. I will finish up what I'm doing and be back soon."