13

The park was windy. Sunshine touched every place it could, burning with a fiery passion only the onset of summer had. The metal chairs sat thankfully under the cool shade of Gingko tree, free of heat as Heiran tucked a strand of white blonde hair behind her ears.

"He didn't tell them everything. The police think that he was kidnapped by one of his enemies, some former defendant he prosecuted. He didn't try to correct them either." Heiran told the woman who perched beside her on the park bench, eyes crinkled and thoughtful, lips wound in a thin line.

"It is better that way. Better that he doesn't say much," Saerom responded.

"He didn't," she reassured.

"That's a relief."

She observed the expression on the woman, calm, mildly relieved. The wind ruffled her salt and pepper hair and she sat with an easy poise that looked regal despite her tattered old clothes and sun-tanned skin.

"What are you going to do now, Ms. Saerom?" Heiran made herself question. The glassy eyes of the woman locked with hers, something unreadable glinting in its depths along with something more.

"There's only one purpose to my life," she breathed, "and that's what I am going to do. Until it's done and the legacy is complete."

Heiran chewed her lips, "Have you ever thought of...do you ever think of—"

She shook her head with a wistful smile, already knowing what Heiran meant to ask before she could finish the sentence.

"No. I won't. Once I succeed, there won't be any reason for Kim Saerom to exist. She must disappear." Heiran opened her mouth to protest but she cut her off, "So let the sky castles remain strong. Keep him from finding out the truth. Never let him get to the answers."

Saerom reached out a trembling hand and grasped her arm. "If things go wrong, if he learns the truth, then..." She looked away as if unable to bear the thought of that possibility, "I shouldn't break the promise."

Heiran had no clue what she meant but she decided to not press. Something told her that she won't receive an answer even if she asked. "Of course, he shouldn't find out."

Saerom smiled at her. She watched her face, her arm itching to draw away from her touch. The brief memory of her nightmare flashed behind her eyes.

"I will...give you...all of my lo—"

Heiran shook the memory away as withdrew her hand, unable to bear the contact much longer. Although she had hoped to pass off the action as casual, Saerom seemed to take note of it, an eyebrow mildly raised as if trying to read into the meaning behind her gesture. The thought of Saerom figuring out her weakness did not dwell well with her, no matter who she was. Resisting the urge to wipe her hands on her skirt, she spoke up desperate to change the subject.

"I like your earrings."

It was a silver thing, well-crafted in the shape of a six-petalled flower, a diamond adorning its receptacle. Saerom raised her head to meet her eyes. Then her lips curled to a small smile as she touched her ear. "It was a gift to myself as a reminder of what I left behind. A reminder of what I lost and what I created. Do you know the meaning of this flower?"

Heiran gave her a single nod. "Rebirth. It suits you."

Out of the corner of her eyes, she watched a shadow melt into darkness at a distance.

* * *

Heiran stood by the window of her living room, hands crossed as she watched the two black vans that remained outside the new flower shop that recently opened right across the street from her apartment complex. When she had first noticed the vans, she assumed it was the movers or the guests of the owner who set up the flower shop, but its constant presence every day had begun to unnerve her. Heiran couldn't tell if it was her paranoia or some unknown sixth sense that made her feel every day that her movements were being watched. It lingered in her mind quite often but she had put it off thinking that it was the product of her sleep-deprived and highly caffeinated imagination. However, the more days passed, the harder it was to ignore the sensation, feeling as though she were going crazy.