11

The day of discharge had arrived and Jungkook couldn't wait to be released from the prison that was the hospital bed and be back at home taking rest, ideally with his lovely girlfriend. But the said girlfriend was nowhere in sight, running errands and getting discharge papers ready as he packed his belongings. He tried not to pout.

"Ready to go?" Heiran appeared by the doorway. He turned around with a mock salute. "Yes, ma'am."

Fifteen minutes later, Jungkook sat in the passenger seat, watching Heiran drive. She was deep in thought, one hand on the steering, the other hand resting on the door, a finger tapping the diamond on her nose as she did every time she was in her mental zone. He wondered what it was that made her eyebrows furrow or her eyes crinkle. What was it that made her nibble on her thumb ever so gently as if it were an unconscious habit? And why was she ethereal even when she positively appeared tired? Now that he took a closer look, her complexion had paled to an unhealthy tone. Guilt tugged at his chest; it was probably because of him. He should have cared more about her well-being than getting obsessed with his crazed mission. It was a fool's errand. Catching the criminal organization won't bring his father and mother back to life. He knew that.

But it would save many lives like his parents.

At a stop sign, Jungkook took her hand and gave a squeeze, snapping her out of her thoughts. "What are you thinking about?"

Heiran sighed, "I was wondering if exposing the NightShade clinic is the best way to go. Exposing one won't bring them all down. If anything, it will only alert the others and make the job harder."

Jungkook frowned, "Do you have evidence?"

"I have a feeling I will. I'm taking the pills from NightShade to Dohyeok to get them tested. Once I can prove that the formula of the pills matches that of the ones in your father's journal, I can expose them."

Jungkook straightened in surprise, "The pills in the journal. Why didn't I think of that?"

Heiran, his clever Heiran, had made so much progress than he had ever made, it seemed. It warmed his heart. Why hadn't he let her in from the beginning? But he stopped. No, he couldn't let her get involved. He feared what they would do to her if they discovered her. He had seen the worst extent of what they could, things he had never told her, and never will. He had lost his mother. His father. He couldn't lose her too.

"I already tested them. They were strong hallucinogens. Brain-eating drugs, Dohyeok said. They were initially banned. Never passed approval. I'm going to get the ones from the clinic tested today. Mind if I stop by the Forensic office?"

"Wait. Where did you get the pills from?" he questioned, feeling a sense of dread. "Don't tell me. Did they give it to you when you admitted yourself to the clinic?"

The thought scared him. They had dared to give Heiran those vile substances? How dare they try to target her? It made his blood boil.

"Calm your man-t*ts," Heiran ordered, noting the brewing storm in his expression. "They only gave me OTC pain pills. Trust me. That's the first thing I checked as soon as I got my hands on it. Those pills are someone else's. Namjoon's wife had those."

Jungkook edged closer to her side, amazed at that new piece of information. "Namjoon? Do you mean Kim Namjoon? Our old lay witness?"

"Yes. His wife..." Heiran's lips turned down in sympathy, "I think she was a victim."

"That's cruel," he murmured.

"Exactly. That's why I should do this even if it isn't your personal battle. I promised him."

Jungkook felt fear grip his chest. No, this wasn't how he wanted this to go. It seemed as if the situation was spiraling more and more out of his control. Heiran couldn't join him on the hunt. She just couldn't.